I have Dell laptop with [/faq/windows-7-509) Windows 7. For the past year, I have been able to use a HDMI cable to display my laptop screen on my tv with full sound. Recently the sound stopped working for no apparent reason. The tv video still receives video, but the sound only plays from the laptop speakers. I know the problem isn't in the HDMI cord.
I have tried restarting my computer and redownloading Realtek sound. I have also looked at the Playback tab in the Sound pop-up window. The only devices shown are the Realtek High Def. Audio Speakers for the laptop, even when I selected show disabled and disconnected devises. All my research online says that should have Digital Output or HDMI devices available, but I don't. What should I do?
Please perform the below mentioned steps and check if this fixes the issue:
1. Right click the Volume icon in the bottom right side of the screen.
2. Select "Playback devices".
3. Check if you can see "HD audio" or similar options listed here.
4. If it is listed please make "HD audio" as the default audio device.
5. If it is not listed here, right click any empty space and check the option "Show disabled devices".
6. If the "HD Audio" is still not listed try updating the Video Card Drivers and then check again.
by going in to the sound options on my computer (which you can access in your control panel) then set your sound default as HDMI. This should solve the problem, just remember to set the default back to the laptops speakers when you are finished using it on your TV.
I hope that helps.