Data lost on external drive when I attach any USB with my laptop

Closed
Owais - Jun 17, 2015 at 10:12 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Jun 17, 2015 at 12:34 PM
Dear Fellows please help me out with this problem:
Whenever I attach any USB with my laptop its data is corrupted and it is vanished while space is still occupied. a shortcut of my usb name is showing in in usb but it happened with every usb attach to my laptop. I think there is a virus in my laptop.
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Jun 17, 2015 at 12:34 PM
Hi Owais.

I think you are right - you do have a virus. You need to install an antivirus program (if you dont already have one), update it, and scan your PC using a full scan. Remove whatever it finds. When it is clear, plug in the USB and scan it all again. I know it will take a long time, but this is the safest way.

Do not install 2 antiviruses at the same time - it is not a good idea and viruses can get in if you do this.

If you cant start your antivirus choose an online scanner (there are several free ones out there) and do a full scan with that one. then your own.

Also, dont plug the USB into any other machines if you can help it - you could also infect them with the virus. I know the machines antivirus should detect it ... but yours didnt so another might not. Make sure it is scanned and cleaned first before you install it into another machine.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.