Can access My Book

Closed
MyBookUser - Sep 9, 2015 at 08:04 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 10, 2015 at 02:59 AM
Hello,

My external USB My Book had been working error free since I bought it. Suddenly, I cannot see in in 'My Computer'. I passes all tests, including mini-tool's Surface Test, but no letter is assigned to the drive; there are two partitions one that reads "Other" GPT of only 128 MB, and the other 'Unallocated' of 465 GB.

Related:

2 responses

Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Sep 10, 2015 at 02:45 AM
What is the size of the External HDD? From what you said it shows it is formatted or No drive letter assigned so that it shows Unallocated, which inturn did not showed up in My computer. Go to disk management and try to change the drive letter, so that you can view it on My computer.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 10, 2015 at 02:59 AM
Hi MyBookUser,

I am sorry for the issue you are facing. Did you format the drive in GPT or it has suddenly changed to GPT? Do you have important information stored on the drive? I strongly recommend you to check the drive on another PC and with another cable. Is that GPT partition accessible? When in Disk Management and you right click the Unallocated partition, do you get the option to assign a letter? If not, try doing it by using the diskpart command from the Command Prompt.
The commands should look like this:
Diskpart
List volume
Select volume n (where n is the number of the volume)
Assign letter=L ( where L is any drive letter that you like and is not in use)

If you have important information on the drive and you wish to save it, try to boot using a Linux Live CD. It may grant you enough access to save your data.
If you do not have important information on the drive, format it and check if all appears normally. I strongly recommend you to use Data Lifeguard Diagnostic to check drive's health. I leave you a download link below.

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ZSjxKd - Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Hope this helps