HFS volume not openable on windows 10

Closed
americanboyhamilton Posts 2 Registration date Thursday September 10, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 11, 2015 - Sep 10, 2015 at 06:24 AM
americanboyhamilton Posts 2 Registration date Thursday September 10, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 11, 2015 - Sep 11, 2015 at 05:21 PM
Hi.
I have a 1tb mypassport by WD formatted in Mac OS journaled and I have trouble opening it with my Asus N56V laptop running windows 10.
I am planning to connect my HD to a wireless Hub on a "mission" to try an render my house as cable-free as possible. The only problem is that this Hub doesn't work with hsf formatted drive so I'm trying to change the format and in order to do so I need to momentairly place all the files I stored on my windows Laptop's HDD.
The drive works perfectly and is recognized on my Macbook air, but when I plug , it into the windows machine it is recognized as a connected usb drive, but I am unable to open it even with HFS explorer, Transmac, or the Full Paragon hfs explorer suite. Moreover when I try and open the Disk utility/manager tool on windows 10, I am unable to assign a Letter to the volume, so I think this is the main problem that stops the recognizing process. I don't know if it is relevant, but this mypassport drive used to be encrypted and the location of my time machine backup on my previous Macbook Air. Thinking the problem could be the encryption, I fully decrypted the HD, but no progress has been done since.
Thanks for reading and I really hope you can help me.
Kind Regards
Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 11, 2015 at 03:12 AM
Hi Americanboyhamilton,

If you have removed the encryption, the issue may be related to something else. So, right now the hard drive is recognized in Disk Management, but without a drive letter. What happens when you right click the drive? If there is no option to assign a letter, try using the diskpart command from the Command Prompt.
Diskpart
List volume
Select volume n (where n is the number of the volume)
Assign letter=L (where L is any drive letter that you like and is not in use)

I strongly recommend you to check the drive on another Windows PC. If you are able to backup your data on the Mac, format the drive, copy the data and try it on the Windows laptop. I would check the drive with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic to exclude drive problem.

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=smVOx1 - Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Hope this helps

americanboyhamilton Posts 2 Registration date Thursday September 10, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 11, 2015
Sep 11, 2015 at 05:21 PM
Thanks For the reply.
Yeah, the option to assign letter is greyed out.
I eventually gave up and manually transferred all the files via usb sticks. It was endless but I couldn't find anyway around. Then I reformatted the HD in exFat, hoping to never have to do this ordeal again.