October 28, 2015
-
Registration date
Friday February 6, 2015
Status
Last seen
July 18, 2016
-
I have dell studio 1558 4gbram, 1gb graphics card, 500gb hdd.
while watching a video my laptop screen suddenly goes black.....then I did forced shut down by pressing power button for a while. again when I press power button hard disk spins and fan starts but screen remains black only ( as screen didnt start).
When I press fn+d+power button screen shows different colors and agin goes black. when I checked with external monitor, again couldnt see anything.
tell me where is the problem.

3 replies

Registration date
Friday February 6, 2015
Status
Last seen
July 18, 2016
Did you hear any beeps?I think may be the problem lies with your graphic card
Registration date
Wednesday October 28, 2015
Status
Last seen
October 28, 2015

when I press fn+d+power button I saw different colors like white, blue, green etc and again after that screen goes black
Registration date
Wednesday October 28, 2015
Status
Last seen
October 28, 2015

no iddint hear any beep. but when I remove the ram I heard two beeps repeatedly
Registration date
Friday February 6, 2015
Status
Last seen
July 18, 2016
If you do not get a display on the external monitor it might be an issue with the video card or the system board where it is connected. When you connect an external monitor to the system press on the Fn and F1 keys together to toggle between the displays, if it doesn't work you can only with the F1, and check if you get display on the external monitor.

I would also recommend you to run the LCD built in self test to check the hardware functionality of the LCD screen, you can run this test by following the steps below:

Power down the system.
Press and hold the 'D' key on the keyboard and power it on.
A solid color screen is shown and five different colors are displayed. While the colors are displayed, the system beeps every 2 seconds. You can use this test to determine if something is wrong with the display.
You can perform the Dell Diagnostics to determine if there is any hardware failure. To perform the diagnostics, follow the steps:

Turn off the computer; press and hold the <Fn> key, push the power button and release the keys simultaneously.
A blue screen will appear stating Pre-boot System Assessment .
A screen will appear with a message 'Were color bars displayed?(y/n).
Press 'Y' key if the color bars are displayed properly.
If you get any error code, make a note of it and continue testing.
Please share the error codes along with the error message if any.
Also, let me know if you can see any Dell logo when you power on the system. There are also 3 LED's in front of the system (check picture below) and let me know the status.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

The Best of CCM in Your Inbox

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!