Error message: No Hard Drive Detected, Dell Inspiron M5040 N5040

Solved/Closed
gaylethegardener Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday November 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 27, 2015 - Nov 17, 2015 at 09:32 AM
gaylethegardener Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday November 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 27, 2015 - Nov 27, 2015 at 09:46 PM
Dell Inspiron M5040 N5040. Computer was getting hot on left side by vent. Was reading on how to open the laptop and clean the vents and didn't get a chance to because a few weeks later the computer wouldn't boot up and gave the message: No hard drive detected.

The diagnostics test said the same, no hard drive detected and the fan passed the test.

Any help would be appreciated on where to start to fix the hard drive. I'm a amateur and willing to learn how to fix it.

Thanks,
Gayle

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Nov 18, 2015 at 06:12 AM
Hey there, Gayle.

Unfortunately it sounds like the drive might have failed. If this is the case, the only way to "fix" the laptop, is by replacing the old HDD with a new one. In order for you to determine that, I'd recommend that you take the drive out of your laptop and try it with a different computer by connecting either externally (via a SATA to USB adapter, external enclosure, or a docking station), or internally (directly to the motherboard via a standard SATA connection), to see if the drive is properly recognized. If it is, then you should backup any important data which you might have on it and download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics tool to test it. If everything seems to be OK, then the cause for the problem with your laptop might be a faulty SATA port or cables.

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative
gaylethegardener Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday November 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 27, 2015
Nov 18, 2015 at 08:58 AM
Boogieman_WD: Thanks for replying!
I did some research yesterday and one article said to reseat the hard drive. I found an online video that showed how to do this and that was the problem! It's working great! I had traveled to see relatives and it must have jiggled loose.
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37 > gaylethegardener Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday November 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 27, 2015
Nov 18, 2015 at 10:20 AM
Sure thing. :)

It's nice that it didn't turn out to be anything alarming. Good job!
Jan > gaylethegardener Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday November 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 27, 2015
Nov 26, 2015 at 05:19 AM
Hi Gayle, I'm having the same problem, also after traveling with the laptop (in its padded case) on the back seat floor. If you could post a link to the video that would be very helpful.
gaylethegardener Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday November 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 27, 2015 > Jan
Nov 27, 2015 at 09:46 PM
Jan: Here's the video I used to open the laptop. I read another article on how to reseat the hard drive. You basically disconnect it and put it right back in. Just like if you were going to replace it. That easy! This video is for replacing the hard drive. I read another article on Dell's website on how to see if your computer detects the hard drive after you reseat it. You basically tap F2 while the computer is booting up. You would need to Google those instructions for your type computer. If you have a different model number, just type in You Tube- How to replace a hard drive for your make and model number. Good luck! Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lurxEeZkBhg