Hard disk not detected

Solved/Closed
kappa - Nov 20, 2015 at 02:13 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Nov 24, 2015 at 04:59 AM
Sir,

My newly bought 1TB hard drive is not being detected in my Win7,WinXP or Ubuntu 14.04 pc's. I used to see movies and files from the HDD in my Android phone and once suddenly the HDD was not being detected in phone.I have removed the HDD from mobile phone without ejecting the disk. Then I tried in all PC's and the same repeats. In the USB ports, the HDD is shown ,but I cannot update the driver or uninstall or do any other activities. In Linux we have tried to use fdisk,sda etc command and could view the hard disk but data couldn't be copied. Please suggest some reliable method to retrieve the data as it is very important.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Nov 20, 2015 at 03:37 AM
Hi Kappa,

Could you tell me the hard drive model? Trying to uninstall the device from Device Manager was a good decision. Did you get an error message while trying to do it? Could you please open Disk Management and tell me if the drive is recognized? Check if it has a drive letter and a correct file format. Have you tried using another cable?
Since using Linux was not helpful, you should try some data recovery software. Your drive should be under warranty, so I would call the reseller and discuss the problem.

Hope this helps

The HDD is a StoreJet25 1TB , USB3.0 type external hard disk. My Hard Disk is shown only in the USB Ports section of device manager, but not shown in Storage management or any other sections. I have changed the connector cables and tried, changed the USB hubs and tried, connected in different PC's and tried but no result. I could never find the Drive letter for the HDD as it is not shown. Suggest some method.
Hi R2D2,

Have you gone through the above message. Please reply ASAP. I have given all the details you asked for. I am novice in this area, so bit over cautious in attempting anything with the hard disk as the Data inside the drive is of very high importance. Please reply ASAP.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > kappa
Nov 23, 2015 at 04:55 AM
Hi again Kappa,

Sorry for my late response. Try using the diskpart command from the command prompt. Type
Diskpart
List disk

Is the drive listed there?
Check the link below for some data recovery suggestions.
https://ccm.net/download/backup-56/windows/

If you manage to save your data, I strongly recommend you to get another hard drive. The one you have may have been damaged.

Hope you will get all your data back
kappa > R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017  
Nov 24, 2015 at 04:20 AM
Hi R2D2,

Thanks for your support and prompt reply. I have tried your suggestions also. Later I have taken the hardisk out of the casing and directly connected to CPU and ran a SMART self check. It did detect the hard disk but shown some Failing Attribute and it prompted to go for immediate data backup. So without doing much experimentation I am sending the harddisk for Professional Data Recovery. This was really a great learning cycle and I really thank you for you support. Thanks again for your patience and support.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > kappa
Nov 24, 2015 at 04:59 AM
It was my pleasure. I hope all goes well with the Data Recovery.