Desktop changes to a blue screen with an active cursor

Closed
Precious - Dec 5, 2015 at 07:13 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Dec 21, 2015 at 03:28 PM
Hello, recently my hp pavilion15,750HDD,4Gb RAM, i3 has developed this very annoying attitude. when the desktop screen is left idle for sometime, the screen turns blue with the cursor still active. whatever active window i was still on minimizes to a small rectangular box with minimize, restore and close icons on box. my only option when this happens is to use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to sign out and sign back in, but doing this closes all running programs and has affected a lot of work i've been doing on my computer. i am a mechanical engineering student so i hope you do understand the kind of dilemma i find myself in.
Please i need help badly and ASAP

Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Dec 5, 2015 at 06:02 PM
Hi Precious,

My initial thoughts are a virus has entered into your system. If possible try running a virus check on your whole system. You may need to run this in Safe Mode.

If this finds nothing try opening a command prompt (run it as an Administrator) and type the following command:
sfc /scannow
. This will run a check on all your system files and make sure they are all as they should be.

I also thought about checking your power settings. I know it shouldn't give you a moving curser, but it might be worth disabling the sleep/hibernate function. It wont solve the problem, but it might allow you to work a bit longer.

My final thought would be to create a new user on the machine and see if there is a fault with your user profile. It shouldn't be too hard to migrate your desktop and favorites to the new profile if you find this works, or you could perhaps repair your old one.

My final final thought (I just thought of this as I finished the last final thought) would be to try doing a system restore to a time when you didn't have the issue. You would need to re-install any affected programs, but you shouldn't lose any data.

Good luck. Please let me know how you get on.

I really appreciate thank you messages as a payment for solving issues   :o)
hello Brian, am sorry for the late feedback but the network in my area is sooo bad. I ran the sytem scan as you suggested using the command prompt as u said and from the results i had, it seems as if some of my system files are missing
what do i do next please?
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Dec 21, 2015 at 03:28 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

SFC /scannow usually fixes any missing/corrupted files. It might be worth having the installation disk in the drive when you run it.

If still no joy, then continue through the list I suggested in my first post.