WD hard drive seen not accessible

Closed
conradhall Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 29, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 1, 2016 - Jan 29, 2016 at 02:25 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Feb 2, 2016 at 03:24 AM
I have a WD My Book. It has been connected to my computer for several months, and now Windows Explorer does not recognize the hard drive. The computer is running Win 7 - 64 bit.

Disk Management recognizes the drive as Disk 1 - Unknown - Not Initialized.

Device Manager recognizes the drive as WD My Book 1230 USB Device and indicates the device is working properly. The Driver is up to date. Device Manager does not, however, list any Volume information under the Volume Tab.

I have tried uninstalling the driver, disconnecting the drive, then reconnecting it. The driver reinstalled, but Windows Explorer does not recognize the drive as existing.

I tried running Chkdsk since the My Book Drive was labelled as F:. The result for chkdsk f: /f is "Cannot open volume for direct access."

I also tried diskpart -> list disk. The drive does list using this. The system recognizes the main hard drive and a second external drive but not the My Book Drive.

I would like to regain access to this drive because it did function as a redundant backup. It contains approximately .5 TB of data.

Thank you for taking time to help.
Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 1, 2016 at 03:03 AM
Hi Conradhall,

I am sorry for any issues caused by the WD drive. You have done pretty good job trying to recover your data. I was going to recommend you exactly the same steps. Have you tried the drive on another PC and with another USB cable? If you were using the drive as a backup destination, you must have a copy of the data on another device. Correct?
In order to recover the information on the My Book device, try booting from a Linux Live CD and try to access the files. There is a chance that you will be able to save your information.
Are there any strange noises coming from the drive? If you manage to recover your information, download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic from the link below and check the drive for problems. Is your WD My Book under warranty?
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=g71sqp – Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Hope this helps

conradhall Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 29, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 1, 2016
Feb 1, 2016 at 10:05 AM
Hi R2,

Thank you for your reply. It is appreciated. Allow me to reply in bullet form to save a little time.

Another USB Cable - hard to do since the WD drive has a custom male end.

Is data copied? Yes.

Is drive under warranty? Don't know. Purchased 20 Aug '15. Is it?

Strange noises? No. It's silent.

Boot from a Linux Live CD. This is very disappointing. I've already done everything you would have advised without achieving success. And now, instead of giving me a way to get a result, you simply ask me to do more diagnostics. I have no idea how to boot from a Linux Live CD on a windows machine, nor what a Linus Live CD is, nor where to get one.

The diagnostic tool is unable to access the drive. Further, when it attempts to access the disk I hear a faint clicking. This suggests the disk is out of alignment and therefore useless.

Thank you. Fortunately, the 1TB My Passport is still chugging along. I'll find something similar to that to replace the My Book.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 2, 2016 at 03:24 AM
The Linux Live CD may be downloaded for free and should be put on a CD or a flash drive and boot from it. No installation is required. I recommended you this step because Unix based systems sometimes show better results operating with drives which Windows cannot see. Have you tried using the drive on another PC? The My Book cable should be USB 3.0, micro B type.
You drive may be under warranty. I strongly recommend you to follow the link below and write down your drive´s serial number.
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=osJnyC – Western Digital warranty check.

Have in mind that this is a check for the Western Digital warranty. If you did not purchase the drive directly from Western Digital, you may be able to use an additional warranty coming directly from the seller. Please confirm that. If the warranty check confirms that the product is under warranty, you may receive a drive replacement. I would recommend you to contact the WD Support and get the shipment instructions.
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=IPbrs5 – WD Support
In general, you are right, that clicking noise might indicate a drive problem, but if it is just one click, it may be coming from the head parking which may be normal behavior. However, it seems that the drive has failed. Sadly, I cannot tell which part failed. The most important thing is that your data is safe.
Please, let me know if there is any progress with the RMA service.