Booting up "no signal" , switching off is instant, no run down.

Solved/Closed
It's me here - Feb 18, 2016 at 04:34 AM
 smehere - Mar 16, 2016 at 04:12 AM
Hello,

Windows 7. I have tried the 30 secs/ 1 min button trick to no avail. Just before "death" the screen split in two halves (left side on right side) with the mouse working after a fashion on both. Changed monitor to no avail. There is no run down when switching off as before, just off.
Any further ideas?

Related:

2 responses

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 18, 2016 at 06:49 AM
Hi you there ...

My first reaction to this would be to think that your graphics card is faulty. If this is a desktop machine, then this is easy to check - just swap in another one. If this doesnt work then perhaps a motherboard issue.

If this is a laptop then Im afraid it will need to go to a repair shop to replace the parts - unless you are confident in your abilities to replace the inner workings.

With it instantly powering down, it seems the machine is not getting past the initial "Power On Self Test" (POST). This can be caused by a bad graphics card, but is more often motherboard trouble.

You dont mention any beeps coming from the machine. This could be because no internal speaker is attached, or that it doesnt even get this far in the POST but could help with diagnosis if you just havent mentioned them (how many beeps? is it a repeating pattern of beeps? ...).

For this next bit ensure you take proper anti-static measures (and photographs if possible).

It might be worth removing everything from the motherboard that isnt needed. This will discount anything else that might interfere with boot. What you need is the processor and fan (make sure the fan is turning), at least one stick of memory, the power supply, a graphics card, a monitor, and the power button connections. If you do remove them make sure you make a note so you know where to put them back. If it boots now (you will get an error message on the monitor to say there are things missing), then replace the things one at a time until you find the one that causes the machine to not boot.

Good luck.

Please let me know how you get on.
Firstly, thank you for giving me the courage to change the graphics card! No beeps were reported from the original situation because there were none, but with a card from an older computer there were 1 long and then 2 short beeps. I dusted down the original card and re-fitted, but still no beeps, now that I am listening for them.

Thanks again
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 19, 2016 at 04:00 AM
All of the BIOS Beep code records I have indicate that there might be a Graphics card or video circuitry issue going on here (1 long and 2 short beeps). If you have changed your card, then this could mean that the motherboard is failing. However, first check the monitor lead is good and there are no bent pins at either end of the cable. I doubt this is the case as it failed during normal use (unless you have a pet that enjoys nibbling cables). The monitor could also be failing. Perhaps try another monitor (or a TV if it has the correct input) if you can, but I have never come across one that would cause this issue. You dont rally need a monitor plugged into a PC for it to work. If you dont have a spare monitor try removing the monitor cable at the back of the PC. If the beeps dont happen, this it is the cable or monitor at fault. If they stay I go back to the motherboard failing idea.

Some motherboards have 2 slots for graphics cards - if you are lucky enough to have one of these try the card in the other slot.

Of cause, you might be unlucky and have swapped the card for another faulty card, but this is unlikely.

I hope this is of some help. Please get back to us and let us know how you get on.
smehere Posts 1 Registration date Thursday February 18, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 19, 2016
Feb 19, 2016 at 10:12 AM
Hello Brian

I have tried firing it up without the graphics card, monitor and 1 Memory card and get 1 long and 2 short beeps. The monitor is from the predecessor (this one in use at the mo with the original monitor). I think we can discount the monitor possibility. When I put it all back together with graphics and full memory,without the monitor, there are no beeps. Each time it shuts down quickly.

I will start looking at the options for replacement over the week-end.

Have a good week-end

Barry
Feb 20, 2016 at 02:29 AM
Thanks Barry.

It is looking more and more like a motherboard failure. At least its an opportunity to upgrade. Dont forget, you might need to upgrade your drivers if it is not an identical motherboard.

Good luck.

Please let me know how you get on.
Hello

I have used the opportunity to upgrade and am saving the hard drive, but changing everything else. I think the problem occured due to my use of an electrostatic device next to the computer. Thanks again for your help.

Barry
Mar 4, 2016 at 07:22 PM
Hi Barry,

You might be lucky and be able to clone the original drive to another drive (and use this as a backup of your data in case this goes horribly wrong) Then with all the new stuff installed try installing the (cloned) drive (try to keep the original so you have an unadulterated version of your data). If you are VERY lucky the machine might boot, but more likely it will either blue screen or just keep restarting. Otherwise you would have to install Windows onto the new drive and then reinstall the software and then migrate your data from your old drive to your new drive.

I am curious to know what electrostatic device you used next to your machine though.

Just a small tip on Windows though - I see you are currently on Windows XP. This is no longer supported by Microsoft. If you plan installing Windows 10, it is not directly upgradable from anything other than Windows 7 or Windows 8. Also bear in mind you cant upgrade a 32 bit version of Windows to a 64 bit version. Why do I mention this? ... because it is sometimes cheaper to install Windows 7 or Windows 8 and then take advantage of the FREE (I like free) upgrade to Windows 10.
Hi Brian
The device is a "Holo Electron" gadget loaned to me by a district nurse friend (French) to use on a stye in my eye.

Windows XP is on my old computer and still operational, but I have managed to use the old drive (from the problematic unit) with all the new bits and box and finally it is operational. I have updated to Windows 10 and amgetting the hang of it.

I had help from a friend on the cloning and migrating side and the stye treatment has been moved elsewhere!

Thanks again for your help.

Barry