Computer won't start with router on

Closed
FerdyBoy Posts 2 Registration date Thursday April 16, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2009 - Apr 17, 2009 at 06:56 AM
FerdyBoy Posts 2 Registration date Thursday April 16, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2009 - Apr 17, 2009 at 10:02 AM
Hello,

Please, if someone could help--

I have a very quirky problem that should not be happening---

I have a Linksys WRT54G connected (of course) through my ethernet card to a Dell Dimension 4700 desktop PC.

When I shut down the computer completely, it will not reboot on a cold restart with the power on to the router. If I disconnect the power to the router, (or unplug it from the network card, either way), the computer proceeds to boot up normally.

The strange thing is that is a does not do this on a "warm" restart (i.e. clicking on start, shutdown the computer, restart). I proceeds to shut down, then reboots normally without having to power off or unplug the router.

What could possibly be causing this?

Please, if someone could help me troubleshoot this problem?

Thank you so much for your help
Related:

2 responses

hollow21 Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday September 24, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 12, 2009 5
Apr 17, 2009 at 08:25 AM
hi,
you need to disable boot from LAN in the BIOS settings.
disconnect the network cable, boot the computer.
press the F2 button repeatedly as soon as you press the computer switch.
this will bring you to the BIOS menu.
go to boot menu and disable boot from LAN.
FerdyBoy Posts 2 Registration date Thursday April 16, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2009
Apr 17, 2009 at 10:02 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I went into the system boot menu, but there is no option for disabling "boot from LAN". The only option there is to disable the LAN completely on boot up, which when I select that option, I have no internet connecting at all when it boots. Any other suggestions?

Another symptom---when I shut down the computer completely, the Ethernet light on the router begins a slow flash on and off--which can be clearly heard like a heartbeat through the speakers. Maybe its a router setting? I can get into the router menu if there is something there that needs to be changed.

Thanks again---and please don't give up on me. I really want to fix this---it is a pain having to unplug the router ever time I need to cold restart the machine.

Thanks,

FerdyBoy