Convert 3.0 usb to 2.0 [Closed]

-
 Marisa Ferreira -
Hi i have a external hard drive but the usb cable is in 3.0. I wanna connect the hard drive to my dvd but my dvd only supports 2.0 usb .. ia there any way to convert or adapt the usb cable from 3.0 to 2.0 .. ?? I even bought a cable with both connection 3.0 and another 2.0 but it dont work ..??? Can u guys help me ..

2 replies

Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
Hi Marisa Ferreira,

In general, USB 2.0 and USD 3.0 are backwards compatible, so the connection type may be a problem if the DVD device specifically excludes other than USB 2.0 because of lack of drivers. If that is the case, you may not be able to use a USB 3.0 connection with your DVD. Can you confirm that the hard drive working fine when connected to a PC for example?

Hope this helps

Thank you on my pc works fine ... i formated to fat 32 aswell like my other hard drives.
When i connect it on my dvd it recognizes that is a usb drive there but it wont read it .. on my playstion 3 dont do anything ..
R2D2_WD
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
129 > Marisa Ferreira
Is it a 3.5’’ drive or 2.5’’? Does the drive use its own power cable? Since it is a 5 TB drive, I presume it has one single partition. Is that correct? If it is so, the hard drive may be formatted in GPT in order to show you all the 5 TB. The DVD may not support that.
In order to check it, backup all data and try initializing and formatting the drive, creating new MBR partitions. Have in mind that MBR supports up to 2 TB partition size.
> R2D2_WD
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017

I was talking about the dvd player yeh the hard drive has his on power cable i formated the hard drive to fat 32
Fat 32 always worked on my dvd player but the 5 tb hard drive for some reason is not working wich is weird beacuse if 3.0 cable is suitable for 2.0 i have no clue i will format the hard drive again but i have to do 3 parttions on it because fat 32 only supports up to 2 tb aswell i have to do 3 on it .. what a head ache ..
R2D2_WD
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
129 > Marisa Ferreira
I believe you have done everything right. The GPT – MBR switch may solve the issue for you and you should really try it. I leave you some links with step by step guides. Remember to backup all important data before starting.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc725797(v=ws.11)?redirectedfrom=MSDN
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26203-convert-gpt-disk-mbr-disk.html

Both links represent basically the same action but explained in a different way. Firstly, I would try using the Disk Management. Delete all volumes and when you have one big unallocated space, select Convert to MBR. Partition the drive the way you like it and format it in FAT32. Check again with the DVD.
> R2D2_WD
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017

Hi i did what u sayd and it works after i formated to mbr but there is one problem now i can only use 2 tbs out of the 5 tbs the other 3 are unllocated and i cant access it it wont let me do anything is that normal ??

Ok thanks for yr help i will let u know if it works