My laptop can't detect my WD My Passport

Closed
maul888 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday March 29, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 29, 2016 - Mar 29, 2016 at 11:12 PM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Mar 31, 2016 at 10:40 AM
Hi there....i am having a problem here. My laptop is not able to detect my WD My Passport, i just backup some files this morning and now it doesn't work.
I have try on other desktop the problem is the same. I also try changing the usb cable...same problem. To proper describe the issue...
- When i plug in My Passport into USB port
> My passport drive light is blinking
> In My computer, the My Passport drive won't appear but sometime it takes a long time to shown up.
> When i click on the drive, it seems to hang up trying to read the drive
I have plenty of important files in the drive, hope someone can help....

Thanks
Related:

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Mar 31, 2016 at 10:40 AM
Hi there, maul888.

I'm truly sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with your drive. :(

Would you please check if the drive is recognized in Disk Management and if it is, post a screenshot of what you see there? Here's how to open DM: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=wAzOIk

Since you've tried the basic troubleshooting steps already (try the drive with a different USB cables and a different computer) and you had no luck with them, you should move on to data recovery. Try accessing the drive via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD (this is basically a freeware, bootable, portable version of Linux), to see if the drive is properly recognized and if you can recover your files. If that doesn't work, you should try with some data recovery programs. And last, but not least, if the data is really important, perhaps you should go for professional help, such as a data recovery company: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=hrO4E2

I really hope you are able to retrieve your data. Please keep me posted.
Boogieman_WD