Headphone Jack Not Working

Closed
obediantdeviant Posts 1 Registration date Monday June 13, 2016 Status Member Last seen June 13, 2016 - Jun 13, 2016 at 01:42 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 13, 2016 at 08:11 PM
Okay, so some background: I have a Toshiba Satelite running windows 10 that I bought in 2011, today I plugged my headphones in and only the left side plays at normal volume. The right side is sort of working, but only at an extremely low volume.

I've checked that it's not the headphones, and 3 sets later it's the same for all of them. I've checked the audio driver, I've turned it off and back on again, I've checked the balance, the sound settings, everything I've found in the forums. There's nothing that I can see obstructing the jack, I've turned the laptop on its side and gently tapped the side and blew some air in, hoping that that would dislodge anything that might be stuck in there.

If I unplug the headphones about 5mm then I'll have normal sound. I also vaguely remember it making an odd click when I plugged it in last night, and it taking just a little more effort to plug in than normal. When I play around with the balance, I have to have 10 on the left and 90 on the right to get it to sound somewhat normal, but there's an annoying buzzing on the right side when I do.

I'm not good with computers at all, so I hope this is enough information. Thanks if you can help.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 13, 2016 at 08:11 PM
My best guess is you broke something within the socket and it's no longer making good contact. It's possible that a good computer tech could replace the jack. But, it might cost more that just replacing the laptop. Since these parts are not standardized he would need to identify and order the exact part. All of which adds to toe cost.

Good Luck