Computer sometimes shuts off but mostly shows"no signal "

Closed
Frazzledazzle Posts 5 Registration date Friday July 8, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 23, 2016 - Jul 8, 2016 at 06:57 PM
Frazzledazzle Posts 5 Registration date Friday July 8, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 23, 2016 - Jul 9, 2016 at 07:52 AM
Hello. My computer is my second one i built. It's specs are: GIGABYTE AMD GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ FX ATX Motherboard and AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz Quad Core AM3+ Unlocked CPU Bundle
WD Blue 500 GB Desktop Hard Drive, Solid Performance for Everyday Computing - 3.5" - Sata 6 Gb/s, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache,
Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Kit 2x8GB
I just put a Asus GeForce gtx 750 ti with 2 Gb memory in about 2 months ago.
I originally had windows7 operating system but I have upgraded to 10 about 6 months ago with no problems.
For the last 3 days my computer has: once shut it's self down. A few times the computer is on but it's gone to the no signal message. And now when I turn it on it will start to boot up but when I get to my password screen and I hit enter it will go to no signal. I've read that you can unplug the power cord and press and hold the start button for 20 seconds and I have done that a few times and a very few times it has worked. I try to turn the computer off when I not using it because it's so hot right now and I do not have air conditioning. Oh and I just this morning put on a hyper 212 evo CPU fan because I read the paste on a CPU could get old and while I was changing the paste I figured I'd try the big fan. Just had the stock fan before this. I built this computer in January of 13 back when I had some disposable income and tried to build the best one i could afford at the time. (I play WoW) but money is much tighter now so I'd like a cheap fix if possible. Yes I know I ramble but trying to give the most info I can. Thank you in advance for any help.
Related:

3 responses

Frazzledazzle Posts 5 Registration date Friday July 8, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 23, 2016
Jul 8, 2016 at 07:43 PM
I just tried an old video card I had. Not sure if it's good or not but it did try to start, got to my password and as soon as I hit enter to enter the pw it went to no signal then the computer shut off. Most of the time the computer has been staying on when it goes to no signal.
Also when it was at the no signal screen I hit caps lock and num lock and the keyboard lights did turn off and on properly so hoping that means it's not a MB issue.
Blocked Profile
Jul 8, 2016 at 10:24 PM
Hang in there, try this:

Get the motherboard utility to under clock your CPU. After you load the utility, set the performance to 75% of clocking speed, see if that helps. It sounds like your CPU is overheating!

I just dealt with this myself building my new windows machine. See the core count? I couldn't keep it cool at 100%, and I didn't want to water cool it!

Frazzledazzle Posts 5 Registration date Friday July 8, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 23, 2016
Jul 8, 2016 at 10:38 PM
Hi ac3mark. For one i have no idea how to over or under clock. I've always just put them together and left them like they came. Plus don't I need to have video to do what you are telling me? I'm a real novice at troubleshooting so bear with me.
Jul 9, 2016 at 07:52 AM
Update. I tried removing the battery for 20 minutes and cleared the cmos. That did not change anything. I did get a message that something had been changed and what did I want to do. I chose log in normally. It started to but then went to no signal. So I just kept hitting the reset button and finally after 10 or so tries I actually got in. I decided to leave the computer on all night to see what would happen and it is fine.
It seems that my big problem is if I get to my screen just before the password and I hit a key to get to get to password screen that is when it jumps to no signal. Or a few times I can enter password and when I hit enter it goes to no signal. I hope this might narrow something down in someone's thoughts because it's got me stymied. Please help. I don't want to leave computer on forever!!!
Thanks in advance.
ps. I am reading everything I can and trying stuff. Just nothing others have tried seems just right for my problem...