Windows 10: Can't open any folders

Closed
Spencer- Posts 2 Registration date Thursday July 28, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 28, 2016 - Jul 28, 2016 at 06:22 PM
Spencer- Posts 2 Registration date Thursday July 28, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 28, 2016 - Jul 28, 2016 at 06:45 PM
Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 today and I can't open any folders. When I press "This PC" it opens but then when I double click any of my drives (C, D, E) or Downloads or Documents, my PC just freezes for 10-15 seconds and then everything closes down (like refreshing) and I get sent to desktop with all my icons scattered. When I download something I get to choose where to save it and only like that I can navigate through my folders. My apps and drivers work perfectly I think.
Related:

1 response

Spencer- Posts 2 Registration date Thursday July 28, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 28, 2016
Jul 28, 2016 at 06:45 PM
Edit: This partially solved my problem (now I have a desktop icon which takes me to my documents folder and from there I can continue surfing without the big freeze).

I encountered this problem and a fix that worked for me was to create a new shortcut on the desktop (right click on an empty part of the desktop).
Browse to c:\windows and click on "explorer" or "explorer.exe" and click on "OK".
Click "Next" and "Finish".
Right click on the new shortcut and select "Properties"
On the "Shortcut" tab, where it says Target, add " /?" (without the quotes) That is space slash questionmark.
Click on OK.
Double click on the shortcut to verify that it works.
Right click on the taskbar icon - it creates on when it is running - and select "Pin to taskbar" - if you would like it accessible from the taskbar.