WD Hard drive picks up but doesn't show and doesn't open

Closed
Leafy Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday August 17, 2016 Status Member Last seen August 17, 2016 - Aug 17, 2016 at 08:40 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Aug 18, 2016 at 11:00 AM
WD My Passport Ultra External backup harddrive
Windows 8 and I am the Administrator

The harddrive shows up under My Computer but it only says 'Local Disk (D:)' and shows no information about the size and memory of the harddrive. This also means that I cannot access it and if I try to do so my computer slows down. I have tried numerous solutions but I will leave this as an open suggestion to consider all possibilities. I have ten years' worth of photos on this drive and recently had to format my PC so... :'( PLEASE HELP.

What should I do?
Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Aug 18, 2016 at 11:00 AM
Hello Leafy,

There are some data recovery programs that might help you with the issue. You could find them on the Internet.
If they don't help you, then you could try to access the data using Linux Live USB / CD. Within the Ubuntu forum you can see the steps how to make a bootable flash. Once you have downloaded the .iso file, change the boot priority on the computer where the USB is placed. It is done through the BIOS and you must change the boot priority to be from USB ports and not the HDD. When it boots from the PC, you have to click on try and and not on install the OS.

Keep me posted on the case.