Downgrading to WinXp.

Closed
Robert - May 2, 2009 at 10:38 AM
joeman169 Posts 23 Registration date Saturday May 2, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 3, 2009 - May 3, 2009 at 04:19 PM
Hello, everyone. I was wondering if I can downgrade my Hp Pavillion Windows Vista and downgrade it to Windows Xp. Any help? Thanks

1 response

joeman169 Posts 23 Registration date Saturday May 2, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 3, 2009 10
May 3, 2009 at 04:19 PM
The answer is probably yes, all you need to do is check the website for all of the XP drivers. If they have them, you most likely can. I will warn you however, most manufacturers will NOT support any OS that they did not install themselves. I recently did something similar. I bought a Toshiba laptop that came with Vista, and as everyone knows, Vista is NOT ideal for an economy PC with less power than a 10 year old desktop. Toshiba DID have the drivers on their website, but when i wanted to ask them a question on the phone, they would not answer anything related to XP.
So my solution was to dual boot. In case i needed to return it or just wanted to use vista still, i kept it. Now i have a boot menu when I boot up, asking me to choose between XP or Vista.

If you decide to do this, I strongly recommend a program called EasyBCD, it helps with editing boot configuration. It helped me learn a lot about vista, for instance I didn't know that Vista used a different boot manager type than XP. EasyBCD is a nice way to do it because you dont have to wipe the drive. In case something goes wrong or you cant get XP working right and you want to go back to vista.

Also, if this is a laptop, youll need to set your bios hard drive feature into compatible mode for XP.

Here is the step-by-step guide that I used.

Just remember, if vista doesnt show up right away, its still there. its just the boot manager that isnt configured right.