Hitachi Hard Drive making loud noise

Closed
passion4tech Posts 19 Registration date Sunday July 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 21, 2017 - Sep 6, 2016 at 04:01 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 8, 2016 at 03:14 AM
Hitachi HDT721064SLA360 640GB hard drive makes loud noise from damage. I dropped keyboard on the hard drive and now I hear this noise. This is why I don't like mechanical drives :(

The noise at very end is when I turn off hard drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-6rqzn39aG2MHV4MHYtSmZWb3c/view

Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 7, 2016 at 03:05 AM
Hi passion4tech,

Sadly, it seems like the drive has been damaged. The sound indicates a serious mechanical issue, which, unfortunately, is not repairable. It is hard to tell which part is damaged, but I would say that the drive’s arm can not move normally and can not be placed on the right position in order to operate. That is why it keeps moving and you hear the clicking sound. Is the drive recognized by Windows or BIOS? If it is, you should know that most probably the drive will fail and you need to backup all data. If drive is not recognized and you have important data stored on it, you should seek assistance from a data recovery company.

Hope this helps

passion4tech Posts 19 Registration date Sunday July 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 21, 2017
Sep 7, 2016 at 07:26 AM
Hey R2D2_WD

You said my hard drive is not repairable but I've seen videos on YouTube how to fix hard drive drive click of death so I assume it's possible to repair hard drive myself save money. I had my hard drive on carpet floor below the keyboard. The keyboard slid off the platform and fell on hard drive. What bad luck :(
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 8, 2016 at 03:14 AM
It looks like a really bad luck. Sadly, sometimes small hits may cause damage. Unfortunately that mechanical issues indicated by the so called click of death are not repairable. If the drive’s arm, head or platters are not moving normally, this cannot be fixed. Have in mind that opening the drive at home will cause further damage because the platters will be contaminated. A hard drive should be open in special conditions and using the proper tools.
If the drive is making beeping noises, this could be power related and theoretically can be fixed but I can not give you information about the cost of repair. Sometimes drives make click noises which are not indicating drive failure but if it is a steady click-click-click, that means there is a serious internal damage.