External hard drive wont show up on my hp laptop

Closed
thalman - Oct 18, 2016 at 10:16 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 20, 2016 at 04:16 AM
Hello,

why my external hard drive wont show up on my hp laptop?

Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 19, 2016 at 02:51 AM
Hi Thalman,

Could you check if the drive is working normally when connected to another PC? Another thing you should try is testing the drive with another USB cable. If the drive is working fine on another PC, connect it back to the HP laptop and open Disk Management. Is the drive listed there with a correct file format? You may need to manually assign a drive letter. You should be able to do if you right click the drive. Once the letter is assigned, the hard drive should be listed in My Computer.

Hope this helps

I did both solutions that you mentioned and it didn't work at all so what is wrong with it? I changed the cord and plugged into other types of computers and it still didn't work at all..
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 20, 2016 at 04:16 AM
Any sign of the drive in Disk Management or in Device Manager? Can you feel the drive spinning in the enclosure? Unfortunately, it is highly possible that your hard drive has failed. If you have important data stored in it, I would suggest you to test the device on a Linux PC, because it may give you a bit better chances of recognizing the drive. You may also use a Linux Live version and boot it from a USB drive.