Corrupted XP Home Edition and no discs

Closed
John - Updated by John on 5/12/16 at 01:05 PM
 John - Dec 13, 2016 at 09:28 AM
Hello,

greetings:

My old laptop OS is corrupted/missing per screen message "Windows\system 32\config\system". Original discs gone with previous user. Is this save-able, or do I bury in the backyard. Ready to give up. (XP x32 not x64). There is 1 disc, original image of laptop, but appears to be Win'98, so no good. I am a novice regarding computers. Thank you folks.
Related:

4 responses

Blocked Profile
Dec 5, 2016 at 04:45 PM
So it boots into that message?
Sir: That is what appears. States it can be corrected with orig discs and hitting "R" for repair (gone as you know), tried booting into a "copy" of XP x64, but laptop refuses, stating must be x32. (Sorry it took so long to get back to you, as I was at work, and not putting anybody here off. Trying to save L-Tops contents without getting it back to a '98 factory. Maybe someone has a rescue disc or boot disc or a pellet gun to shoot it's lights out !
Blocked Profile
Dec 6, 2016 at 05:14 PM
No problems with timeframe!

You must be careful if you find a copy of XP, as even if you go back to XP, you will not have SP3, and therfoRe the network functions will cease!
I have SP3 on a disc. This in total solves not my problem though. Where may I obtain a clean, unadulterated copy, or what type of disc needed to fix ( i.e. would an XP boot disc or other type of disc work?), and how may I go about any of this? Thank U.
Blocked Profile
Dec 7, 2016 at 12:53 PM
That is the 100 million dollar question!! There is no such thing available for download, that I would trust. The only way I would use one of those, was if it were a VM!
John > Blocked Profile
Dec 13, 2016 at 09:28 AM
I guess that's it then. Thank you for your attempts. Regards.