Cannot write/Format sd card, read is possible

Closed
nithin1664 Posts 1 Registration date Thursday January 5, 2017 Status Member Last seen January 5, 2017 - Jan 5, 2017 at 11:29 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jan 6, 2017 at 03:19 AM
Hi,
I have a 16Gb micro sd card in my galaxy note n7000 running marshmellow.

Now i am unable to write or format the sd card, but reading from sd card is possible and all the data are intact.

Tried formatting from windows and linux,used third party utilities also, but cannot delete the files. Its not showing any write protect messages.

It appears as if write capability is lost.

I cannot replace the sd card with vendor, as it contains family photos, which are still readable.

Any fix for this?
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Jan 5, 2017 at 06:39 PM
Have you tried to MOUNT the disk with admin privilages?
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 6, 2017 at 03:19 AM
Hi Nithin,

So basically, you can copy your photos, but you cannot format the device, right? Using some third party utilities and a Linux OS was a good idea. Unfortunately, it is highly possible that the SD card has been damaged. Connect the card to a Windows PC and run the Command Prompt. Type the following commands:

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n (n must be the drive’s number)
Attributes disk

Please check if the drive has a Read Only status enabled. If it is marked as Yes, continue using the commands:
Attributes disk clear readonly
Exit

Try again formatting the SD card.

Hope this helps