Seagate backup plus portable drive showing as Unknown

Closed
Donkizzy Posts 1 Registration date Saturday February 25, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2017 - Feb 25, 2017 at 11:31 AM
Promomilia Posts 68 Registration date Monday February 6, 2017 Status Contributor Last seen May 19, 2017 - Mar 16, 2017 at 03:32 AM
Hello,
My seagate backup plus portable drive showing as Unknown and not initialized.
What could be the reason?
It's a new drive we bought.

Related:

2 responses

karel.izaac Posts 15 Registration date Wednesday July 15, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 8, 2017 1
Mar 16, 2017 at 01:40 AM
1.Right click My computer and then select Manage option to run Disk Management.
2.Find and right-click the external hard drive you want to initialize, and then click "Initialize Disk".
3.In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize. Select whether to use the master boot record (MBR) or GUID partition table (GPT) partition style.

Hope this helps!!
Promomilia Posts 68 Registration date Monday February 6, 2017 Status Contributor Last seen May 19, 2017 12
Mar 16, 2017 at 03:32 AM
Backup Plus Desktop are ordinarily accessible as a drive letter within (My) Computer and/or Windows/File Explorer. When you connect the drive to your Windows 8/7/Vista/XP computer, here is what to expect:

The drive will appear as a drive letter in (My) Computer or Windows/File Explorer (ie: Drive E:, F:, or some other letter) within approximately 30 seconds of connecting and turning on the drive.

Often the AutoPlay window will appear within 30 seconds. A small notification will appear in the system tray, informing you that your drive is ready to use. Also the Safely Remove icon will appear in the system tray.

You can click on Open Folder to View Files to open the drive letter, or on the drive letter in (My) Computer or Windows/File Explorer.

Then you can simply drag-and-drop data, or copy-and-paste data, into the drive for starters. See Document ID: 206419 for more instructions.
The drive is now functioning normally.

Note: For information about the drive not functioning properly with Windows Image Backup, see Document ID: 005486.

Please select the option that best describes your situation:

The device once functioned properly but is no longer detected.
This is the first attempt to use the device and it is not detected.

Please examine the drive’s status in Device Manager. With the drive connected via USB (if available):

Windows 8: Press the Windows key (a) + X.
Windows 7/Vista/XP: Right-click on (My) Computer and choose Manage.
Windows 8: Select Device Manager.
Windows 7/Vista/XP: In Computer Management, select Device Manager, which is found on the left side of the window under Tools.
Click on the plus sign ( + ) next to the Disk Drives item to expand that branch of the tree. If the drive is detected by the system, an entry showing its information displays.
If it is not there, check under Other Devices (a category under Device Manager).
Double-click on the Backup Plus Desktop drive.
If under Other devices an Unknown Device appears, double-click on it.