How to remove shortcut virus from my PC and get my data back?

Closed
Niazai - Oct 11, 2021 at 02:37 PM
andrew-james Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 7, 2021 Status Member Last seen December 30, 2021 - Dec 28, 2021 at 04:44 AM
Hello,

Hi bro, hope you are fine and doing well.
I have faced to a very big problem if you can help me to solve it.
Last day, I used a USB drive, it had very dangerous virus and affected my PC very badly. This virus changed my all videos, pictures, as well as all data to shortcut file type. My PC had 3 drives; 100 GB C drive, 100 GB D driv and 500 GB E drive. Total 750 GB, all drives almost full.
When the bloody virus affected my PC, all drives data changed to shortcut file type and all drives completely empty ????.

Is there any way to gain my data back?
Related:

2 responses

andrew-james Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 7, 2021 Status Member Last seen December 30, 2021 4
Dec 28, 2021 at 04:44 AM
A shortcut virus is a kind of Trojan and worm combination that hides or deletes your original files on the infected device, and then replaces them all with generated shortcuts.
So how does a shortcut virus work or spread? It basically spreads in two ways:

1. #1. You clicked a shortcut link or downloaded a shortcut virus file from the browser.
2. #2. You launched a file that contains a shortcut virus, then it duplicates the virus and further infects other files and programs in your device.

When a hard disk or USB is attacked by a shortcut virus, all the files, folders, and even programs will turn to shortcuts. You can neither open nor access the files and folders on it as normal. If you double-click one of these malicious shortcuts, you give the virus the opportunity to spread, which will lead to further damage to your data, system, and more.
So it is said if your drive or folder is infected with shortcut viruses stop using the device and don’t save any new files and folders to the device.
So here I will be sharing with you the various methods that you can use to get back your data infected with shortcut viruses.

1. You can remove shortcut viruses using CMD.

Connect the shortcut virus-infected USB to your PC and follow to remove the shortcut virus from your drive using CMD:
Step 1. Type cmd in the Search box and right-click Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator".
Step 2. Type H and hit Enter. (Replace H with the drive letter of your USB, pen drive that is infected with the shortcut virus.)
Step 2. Type del *.lnk and hit Enter.
Or you may also type del autorun.xxx (the extension of the shortcut virus) and hit "Enter".
Replace the file extensions with .exe, .vbs, .lnk, .ini, etc. and repeat this step.
del *.lnk
del autorun.xxx
This command will delete shortcut files and remove the existing shortcut virus from your drive.
Step 3. Type attrib -s - r -h *.* /s /d /l and hit "Enter".
You may also type attrib -h -r -s /s /d H:\*.* and hit Enter to show the hidden files on your device. (Replace "H" with the drive letter of your virus-infected hard disk or USB).
Step 4. When the process completes, type exit and hit "Enter" to close the command prompt window.

Method 2 : Delete/Wipe/Remove Shortcut Virus from the Registry
Applies to computers and laptops

This method deletes the suspicious keys that may be related to the shortcut virus on your PC.
Steps to remove shortcut virus from Registry:

Step 1. Press Windows + R keys, type: Regedit, and hit Enter.
Step 2. In Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Run.
Step 3. Find suspicious keys like odwcamszas, WXXKYz, ZGFYszaas, OUzzckky and delete them.

Method 3: Run Shortcut Virus Remover or Antivirus Software

An antivirus program often doesn't see shortcuts as viruses, but it's a good idea to use one of these programs to scan your system. This gives you the assurance that your system is safe from any viruses and threats.

I hope your doubts are clear. All the Best!!!