Ask a question Report

Gateway notebook will not turn on [Solved/Closed]

K.Roy - Latest answer on Jun 4, 2013 04:14PM
Hello,
I got my gateway notebook nv52 a couple months ago. I was in class when it jus died. i closed it thinking the battery just died. i plugged it into the wall and opened it in my next class 10 minutes later and it will not turn back on. i tried the upside down trick. but idk if i did it right. when my notebook is plugged in with the battery in it. the charge light comes on and says its fully charged but wont turn on. no noise. nothin.If i take out the battery and try to use the cord it shows no lights or life. same thing besides the charge light is not on. PLease Help Me! It Cost $299 to ship it to get it fixed and i dont have that type of money. PLease Help!!!!!
Thanks
Read more 
Answer
+55
moins plus
I also had this problem. I turned it off and it would not turn on. I found the solution. First, extend the laptop screen as far back as it will go. Don't just stop the screen at a ninety degree angle. My laptop screen pulls back to about 135 degrees. Now press the power button. It should start up.

Why do I think this works? Well...I used to own an older model thinkpad that had a short "male" connector on the screen, that when the screen was folded down would enter into a "female" connector on the base of the unit and trigger sleep mode on the unit. This is how the system could automatically hibernate when the screen was closed. The little male connector broke off, and I couldn't get the system to wake up, because the connection to tell the laptop that I had the screen up or down no longer worked. I couldn't even power it up. I had to take an ink pen and push the connector through the female end to indicate to the motherboard that I'd opened the screen before it would even turn on.

It appears that the same type of mechanism is built into the long BAR under the screen of the NV52 and somehow it can't determine when the screen is open or closed. If it detects that the screen has not been opened, it won't power up. This safeguard prevents the laptop from being turned on mistakenly while closed up in your laptop bag. Extending the screen back resets the mechanism and it should turn on. Sorry for the long explanation...I hope this helps.

woodsie- Aug 22, 2010 01:51PM
8-22-10 - The technique worked for us, the key for us, was to continually push/test the power button as we brought the screen towards the 90 degree mark, found the sweet spot - and it worked!.... Thanks! much appreciated!
jolly roger- Oct 19, 2012 04:06AM
do you know if this might work on a gateway ma3 model?
enemencio123 2Posts Sunday November 4, 2012Registration date November 5, 2012 Last seen - Nov 4, 2012 08:33PM
i have the Gateway NV52 and i have had the power button problem since day one and after 3 years of finally getting tired of it i decided to take the laptop apart and see the inside details. here's what i found... i took the power button apart and saw that it wasn't really connected the way it should be, and so i messed with it and figured out that there are only 2 main wires that are connected to the power button... being the electrical "trial and error" guy that i am i really put it to the test and completely removed the power button and extra round green panel and was left with 2 wires... here's the AWESOME thing that happened... i then decided to "touch the 2 wires together and BAM!!!" no more problems... ever again... i basically "hotwired" my Gateway NV52 Series Laptop... ever since ive done this approach, i have never had a problem turning it on... at all... See... you might have 2 wires sticking out and looking strange , but i tell ya... it works just fine for me knowing that my Laptop will Power Up Everytime... and i mean EveryTime...
enemencio123 2Posts Sunday November 4, 2012Registration date November 5, 2012 Last seen - Nov 5, 2012 01:21PM
being the electrical "trial and error" guy that i am i really put it to the test and completely removed the power button and extra round green panel and was left with 2 wires... here's the AWESOME thing that happened... i then decided to "touch the 2 wires together and BAM!!!" no more problems... ever again... i basically "hotwired" my Gateway NV52 Series Laptop... ever since ive done this approach, i have never had a problem turning it on... at all... See... you might have 2 wires sticking out and looking strange , but i tell ya... it works just fine for me knowing that my Laptop will Power Up Everytime... and i mean EveryTime...
RF- Jun 4, 2013 04:14PM
This worked! Thank you!
Answer
+15
moins plus
I also had a problem with my gateway nv52. I turned my computer off one day and it would not power up. The first thing I did was to try and adjust the lid to see if that would work but it didn't. The next thing I did was I completely took the laptop apart to see if there was any damage on the motherboard and I found known.

My laptop would charge if the battery was connected which was a good sign but it would not boot. This led me to believe that it was the power button and it was.

While looking at the motherboard with the battery and power adapter connected I short circuited the board and what do you know it booted up

Answer
+11
moins plus
Hi there,

I'm new here to and posted a problem with my sons laptop a short while ago but got to read your posting.

Don't know if this will work for you but try removing your battery from laptop then hold down the power button for a one minute or so. Put battery in and then try normal boot up. Not tried this myself but saw it mentioned in another furom and lots said it worked for them.

Derek

Answer
+10
moins plus
OK youre all close but just off a hair. It's quite simple as it is the wire that connects to the power switch that's your problem. I just fix this issue and I'm writing this post from said laptop. There is a 2 wire lead connected from the motherboard to the switch board, it either gets pulled out from the switch board from the hinge on the lid or it gets worn through from the hinge. Mine was worn through. The switches purpose is only to connect the two board points to send the connection for power or shut down, hence your 2 wires touching together acts as the switch. I assume his issue was with the plug pulling out of the switch board when the lid opened as the wire didn't seem to be shorting out. Or if it had rubbed through the insulation, not being connected to the switch board left it slack so it didn't short out on the hinge to the chassis. You can order the wire for 15-25 US or just make a new one with larger gauge wire as I did. I also left extra slack and added some extra insulation in the hinge area. I see it's a common problem, sorry it took me so long to get the issue in the shop. Hope this helps, even though its an old thread.

This document entitled « Gateway notebook will not turn on » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.