Ask a question Report

2nd SATA Hard Drive not shown on my computer [Solved/Closed]

shawn - Latest answer on Oct 9, 2012 01:12PM
Hello,
I have had a WD 160GB SATA hard drive as my primary HD and I recently bought a Seagate 80GB SATA hard drive to use as a secondary storage space. I connected all the power, SATA cables correctly and when I boot my comp, it shows on the display that my WD 160GB is the primary and Seagate 80GB is the slave. However, when I go on to my comptuer, I don't see the new hard drive. When I check the device manager, it still indicates that it recognizes both of my hard drives. Why is it not showing up on my computer to be used?
Read more 
Answer
+1482
moins plus
You need to format the drive before you can use it for data.

Right-Click on the My Computer icon either on your desktop or in the Start Menu and select Manage.

A new window titled Computer Management comes up.
Select Storage from the left hand side by clicking it once, then select Disk Management(local) from the right side by double-clicking it. Find your new drive and format it with one large partition.

First you partition - do a primary partition if you want only one partition on the hard drive. Then you format the partition - again right click and select format use NTSF - use default allocation size and give the new volume a label (no spaces allowed in the name).

Itchworking- Aug 8, 2010 02:31AM
Thank you! worked well for me!
ditch- Aug 8, 2010 08:41AM
cheers mate. saved loadsa time fiddling
DN- Aug 12, 2010 04:26PM
Ya, thanks man.
Computer guy- Oct 7, 2012 02:37AM
Thank you so much!
jason- Oct 9, 2012 01:12PM
thank you!!!!!!!
Answer
+43
moins plus
First you partition - do a primary partition if you want only one partition on the hard drive. Then you format the partition - again right click and select format use NTFS - use default allocation size and give the new volume a label (no spaces allowed in the name).

marsty5- Jan 2, 2009 06:47AM
I have the same problem. But I can't format on the right-click. The option is not available. What can I do?
Marsun- Oct 7, 2009 05:34PM
I am having the same problem, I do not get the "format" option with the right click. Did you find a solution?
Ryan- Apr 27, 2010 06:23PM
its not format.. its partition
James A- May 8, 2010 10:34AM
Thanks for that, I was trying to work it out for HOURS, you have saved my sanity!!!
ANX- Oct 7, 2012 09:59PM
One more thanks
Answer
+32
moins plus
I have noticed a few people saying that they dont want to Format the slave drive so what to do?
But have not seen a reply.
I am in the same boat & can see the slave in disk manager as local disk but only option is to format it in actions etc
I dont want to do that as only need to get the data from it.
Can anybody provide a solution, pleeze
Someone did say set to cable select, I tried that also & it did not work

Answer
+30
moins plus
the same problem is mine..
but i dont wanna format it..
because there are lots of stuff in it..
mine hard disk is 250GB...
it doesn't get detected on my Pc..
help me..
mail me at vs4vijay-[at]-gmail.com..
its urgent....

NicoQB- Feb 1, 2009 07:43AM
Had the same prob.
Using Acronis Disk Director , I simply had to reassign a drive letter to my hard disk partition, it will be detected by My Computer, with all data accessible too!
Answer
+27
moins plus
dear friend

type diskmgmt.msc in your run command...ull find 80gb as unallocated ...just you need to do is make the partation of the harddiskand u can use it as a secondary

deaniepops- Jun 25, 2010 01:15PM
your a legend cheers my hard disk works now..
Answer
+14
moins plus
This the full instruction with picture guide from SEAGATE hope this might help.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=199419&Hilite=

Answer
+12
moins plus
This was great advice I am running vista 64 and it all worked fine, thanks my friend for sound advice.

Answer
+10
moins plus
Ecxellent peice of advice, I just bought a 1TB Hitachi HDD, and googles for an asnwer on how to make it visible to my computer, really good solid advice found - thanks

Answer
+8
moins plus
THANK YOU!! Such a simple solution! Much appreciated.

Answer
+8
moins plus
I didn't Have to ask a question. Someone else already did that. One of the answers solved my problem of installing a second SATA HDD and it not showing as a lettered drive.
Thanks everyone for your diligence and your willingness to share with others.

Answer
+7
moins plus
I searched everywhere and everything i saw regarding installing a second sata hd on xp, dealt with installing raid. Finally became smart and reworded my google search "installing second sata hard drive without raid" and this was the first link that google came up with. Worked perfectly. Thank you very much.

Answer
+7
moins plus
I just purchased a second internal hard drive and my BIOS will not recognize it nor will 'my computer' recognize it.
I am stumped as to how to get this going.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Answer
+5
moins plus
Thanks XP...

this is why i get through the dayz with guys like this cause there's things you just don't understand...
thx

G-Mann

Answer
+5
moins plus
Thanks alot! I tried to figure out how to do it for hours, then I thought "Maybe google can help me!"
And I searched for some time, and I found this.

This helped me out alot! Big thanks, mate! ;)

Answer
+4
moins plus
Also extremely Helpful :)

Answer
+4
moins plus
Awesome advice very straight to the point. I was able to help out 2 friends in one night with this advice. Thank you so much.

Answer
+4
moins plus
Nice tip, precise and to the point

Answer
+4
moins plus
your advice was right on the money!!!

thanks!

Answer
+4
moins plus
Thanks for the advice. Had me baffled for a while as I am only used to Ide Drives. Excellent.

Answer
+3
moins plus
thanks you!

1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « 2nd SATA Hard Drive not shown on my computer » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.