Help please-address book attacked

Closed
Nanny - Apr 21, 2010 at 11:14 AM
 NannyBrook - Apr 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM
My PC is protected by McAffee and Spyware Doctor however 'something' is
sending advertising emails to all the addresses in my address book. I dont know how the 'somethin' got in. I have scanned using McAffee, Spyware Doctor, Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and Microsoft Security Essentials. In every case, even after scans which took over 2 hours, the result is always 'nothing found'. Can anyone help me to get rid of this nuisance please? It seems to be striking every few days.
With thanks NannyBrook
Related:

9 responses

Change your e-mail account password if you see the messages in your sent items. That should solve the problem.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Apr 21, 2010 at 04:01 PM
Hello,

I have never heard of a Mac being infected before as the virus which is infecting your computer now as been dedicated to Microsoft software. I could help you if only your had a Windows system for your system seems wormy.

The thing also to worry about is that your list of contacts may also get contaminated.

Good luck
Thank you Ambucias and Heatherhoney. Ambucias this is my first posting - I do not operate a Mac I am using PC Windows XP. I welcome your help please.
With Thanks - Nanny
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Apr 22, 2010 at 04:31 AM
Hello Nan,

This is a different story.

The virus affecting your system is common and you probably got it from an infected e-mail attachment.

Please download, install, update Malwarebyte.

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Run a full system scan, delete the items found and let me know what it found.

Au revoir

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Ambucias, I have done as you suggested. The result from the Malwarebyte scan showed 70 infections which I have removed. The log shows -Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 46
Registry Values Infected: 4
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 5
Files Infected: 13

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected) DO you think this action has been successful?
With thanks again
NannyBrook
Apr 22, 2010 at 03:39 PM
Hello Nan,

Yes I believe that your system is now virus free.

Now, do me a favor, turn off your system restore for 45 seconds and turn it back on, then create a new restore point, a place that you will know is safe to return to in case of need. You can name it after me if you wish.

Be careful now before opening any attachment to an e-mail, it is preferable to have your antivirus scan it before opening it.

Regards
Thank you so much Ambucias - you will have realised that I am not very technical although I have used a computer for 15 years I have never had this sort of problem. System restore? do you mind explaining the proceedure please?
Thanks again - NannyBrook
Apr 22, 2010 at 03:55 PM
Hello Nan,

Yes your system is virus free.

Now, do me a favor. Turn off your system restore for abour 45 seconds and turn it back on; then create a brand new restore point which you can name a after me. You will then have a point where you know it will always be safe to go back to in case of need.

Before you open an e-mail attachment I suggest that you have it scan with your antivirus.

It was a pleasure to help you Nanny Brook.
Four days on and no further problems thanks to Ambucias - this forum is the greatest.