Ask a question Report

ASUS Laptop does not power up [Solved/Closed]

sarah - Latest answer on Nov 14, 2012 08:24AM
Hello,
Hoping someone can help:
My ASUS A6403KM notebook does not power up. When I turn the power on the lights come on for quick second and then automatically shuts down. Ive tried taking the battery out and then turning on same thing happens. Ive also tried taking battery out and mains and pressing power button 3 times (as per ASUS support center advice) and replugging in mains power and still same problem. ASUS service centre suggested montherboard needs complete removal (he is 99% sure did not open the laptop or anything! - very pricy this option). Im hoping someone can offer some alternative advice on what they believe the cause is or how I can reticify the problem.
Thanks
Sarah
Read more 
Answer
+449
moins plus
I had the same thing occur with my Acer 5520 Notebook. The green charge light was on but when I pushed the power switch nothing happened. I did some research on the internet and this is what I did that solved the problem:

I removed the battery and unplugged the power supply. I then held down the power button for 45 seconds. I then reinstalled the battery and the power supply and pushed the power button and voila it worked. I did have to try it a couple of times before it woorked but all is well now.

bashkim- Jun 22, 2010 02:28PM
i have the same problem but its not working this :( any other idea?
ja143- Jun 22, 2010 02:58PM
i have a dell inspiron mini 10 and the charger works but it wont charge my laptop and i tied this a cupple of times but it wont work........what do i do?
themegaboy- Jul 9, 2010 01:04AM
i have a problem when i unplug my charger my computer shuts off automatically and when i press power button it never turned on. when i plug in charger it works also the battery is like 51-52 and it stays there. I NEED HELP pleae D:
TJ- Aug 15, 2010 02:40AM
pretty sure I love you buddy.
crashnburn- Oct 30, 2012 07:43PM
I owe you my life.
Answer
+159
moins plus
My ASUS laptop will not power up at all ?
and is there something i should know or how could i test to see if i need a new bettery or power cord ?

Answer
+48
moins plus
Hello! I am also having problems with my Laptop, which is a ASUS M51S. First when I got this problem, that the laptop wouldnt start up, and the lights were there for a few quickly seconds, I was trying abit on my own. Took out the battery and power supply, and inplugged both of them again to try if it worked. Sometimes it did, but most of the time it didnt work. When I saw this topic, I followed the instructions, and after a few tries it worked. Im too afraid to not getting my laptop to start again, so last time I have putted my laptop to "rest-mode". Im sitting here trying to start up the computer now, and I can't get it to start, and I've tried many times. Is there any other ways to start it up? What can be wrong? I dont really have any money at the moment, and Im addicent to my laptop, and using it lot each day, so I do not want to went any money on new computer or repair (unless its the only way).
Please, I need help! Please, help me!

Answer
+35
moins plus
Hello,
thanks for notice.

My Laptop shut off, but it will not turn back on
I had tried those steps, "TAKE OUT BATTERY, REMOVE MAINS SUPPLY, HOLD POWER BUTTON DOWN FOR 30 SECS PUT POWER SUPPLY IN ONLY DO NOT PUT IN BATTERY TURN ON LAPTOP NOW PUT IN BATTERY". But it didn't work. So what am i going to do? Please help.

My laptop model is ASUS X51RLseries.
Thanks for reply.

rene pluk- Mar 5, 2010 05:05PM
Dear Richard,

I've got the same problems with my Asus X51R series. Just a few years old.
An error with the battery, asking for a bios-password, didnt get into the system, because i dont have a password for it.

Turn off the notebook and will not work anymore....
pan- Mar 13, 2010 02:36PM
TY TY TY

I try same resolution by removing the battery and pressing for 45 seconds the start button and then plugin battery ASUS f8 started again..
Peter Pam- Mar 19, 2010 08:25AM
The 45 second thing is amazing............... I was worried!!!!!!! Thanks for all your help, my heart was in my mouth!
rick- Apr 1, 2010 10:44AM
my computer was stuck on the (asus symbol) when it powered up and i tryed what this said and it works perfectly now ... thank for the help
Answer
+33
moins plus
I had exactly the same problem, the laptop wouldn't turn on at all only the orange charge light came on. I found the problem to be one of the legs on a microchip near the DC input on the Motherboard had burned out. I chipped into the microchip to expose some of the contact, then some clever soldering fixed it. Laptop is working fine now. I would reccomend checking over the motherboard for the same problem, even if you cant fix it yourself if you just take the motherboard to a repair guy it should'nt cost much for him to replace it.

Answer
+20
moins plus
This is a new Windows 7 BIOS issue. All makes are having this on average once every 4 - 5 weeks. For now, deal with removing the battery for 20 seconds and then press and hold the power button down when you re-install the battery. DO NOT uninstall & reinstall any drivers or the BIOS.

Answer
+17
moins plus
i have the same prob. I sometimes have to leave it plugged in and it can take up to half the day before the orange light on the computer well come on and then i can power up the computer. The little green light on the power cord box shows green from the start though. I ave an old acer and yes i had prob with the cd player. Lots icon and everything.

Answer
+13
moins plus
mine doesnt work!! i have exactly the same problem.. power flickers then a few seconds it dies.. what the hell is happening on my x51!

fantomass- Feb 23, 2010 07:29AM
i have a same problem... i made it, took out battery and also from electricity... i hold start/end button more than 1 min. but it allways not work... help me... i have asus f5n
Answer
+12
moins plus
take out the battery and then hold the power button for 10 sec or more then plug your charger in and it should turn on

Answer
+10
moins plus
Dear expert

My asus new X80L model laptop sometimes does not get power(on). but if i reset battery its get power/on.

I would like know what is the solution and why it does.

Onto

GHOST- Mar 1, 2009 10:36AM
I Had the same problem

I took out the battery completely and it works fine, turns out the battery was completely dead, I think it tries to use the power from the battery even though the power cable is plugged in.
my R1F-K018T works fine now.
Answer
+8
moins plus
it is not asus or acer... it is the batch problem... the manufacurer of the mboards put faulty chips on the mboard...they deliberatly programed them for 14 15 months.... just like the dvd player in acer tm 5520...i have seen so many dvd players go dead....and now the mboards.... in mine.... even the l.e.d power indicator dont work now... although im geting almost the required voltage all around the system....

no power reset no nothing worked in my laptop... it works on some but not here.... only solution is to buy a used or repaired mboard...coz new one cost u everything u earn

Christoffer- Nov 23, 2009 03:17PM
Yea, I've seen it can happen on all computers. Wouldnt it be very hard to replace a morderboard on a laptop? I was thinking of buying new RAM and see if it helps.
Answer
+8
moins plus
hello!... I AM HERE TO SOLVE PROBLEM IN ASUS X80L ...WHEN UR PROBLEM IS LIKE THIS WHEN YOU PRESS THE ON BUTTON IT DIDN'T ON..BUT WHEN U PRESS THE FUNCTION BUTTON NEAR IN THE ON BUTTON IT ON BUT NO LIGHT....

IT MEANS...THAT YOUR LAPTOP SO MANY DUST...OR THE LIGHT BUTTON OF YOUR LCD WAS DOWN SO U NEED TO UP THAT BUTTTON BY USING SOMETHING STICK OR THAT CAN UP THE BUTTON ...THE BUTTON ...IS LOCATED IN THE LEFT OF THE LCD DOWN...TRY TO DOWN THE LCD,...THEN FIND A SMALL HOLE..IF U SEE SOMETHING ..TRY TO USE a stICK TO UP IT...

...IT IS TRUE...NOW MY LAPTOP IS FIX....

...IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTION....EMAIL ME IN THIS EMAIL ADD:...
Email Id removed for security

...hope that it helps

yoj- Aug 2, 2010 11:41PM
Perfect! Good job ms.pretty_fixer! Thanks so much. =) This worked!
jurutera- Aug 12, 2010 08:51AM
thanks so much, it works. Before that i think maybe my asus X80L cant be fix, maybe mainboard or something else. iremember my first younger brother fix his mainboard for acer laptop. Its about RM500. woo.. save my money, thanks for your guide...
Answer
+4
moins plus
Hi sarah,
I am having the same problem...
Was anyone able to help you?

Mary

sarah- Dec 2, 2008 03:49AM
Im getting the motherboard replaced.
MySpaGuy- Jan 29, 2009 08:10AM
I have a 5520 ACer Travelmate and am having the same problem. Any suggestions other than replacing the motherboard?
ryan- Sep 14, 2009 02:54PM
Hey! this in response to your ACER TRAVELMATE 5520 problem, i'm sorry i cant help, because i have exactly the same problem!... did you fix it? if so how?! please reply soon! i have a 4000 word essay on it which is due in Wednesday!!
Eli- Aug 14, 2010 11:14PM
when i turn my netbook on the lights turn on but the screen doesnt. I figured out that if i leave it running till the battery goes very low it will turn on.
Answer
+4
moins plus
I have a Gateway (Acer) NV5820u, and a similar problem occurred when I came back from summer class and I had power light on but the battery is dead and no boot-up and display is off. I have tried this technique but doesn't work. I think that if the battery is dead (due to not powering the light on by iteself) but still powers the power light with the power cord attached then it has to do with the battery. This laptop is only 6-months old and I'm disappointed.

If anyone has an idea then let me know.

Thanks.

Answer
+4
moins plus
I took a can of compressed air, blew the fan and there was some dirt on the battery from my cat that I got off locked the battery back in place and the laptop was fixed, my mom will be happy to hear that her laptop is fixed!

Answer
+3
moins plus
I have a tos, that light on but no one at home, no boot or anything, read your hold button fix tried it ,it didn"t work
put power back on held button 45sec power off, hold button, 45.sec still no avail?? did this 3 times and
AWAY WE GO!!!!!!!!!! i just can"T believe it a million thanks from me(and from a lot of others too)

Answer
+3
moins plus
i tried that. its the same.

Answer
+3
moins plus
Well, i tried this, and at first, it didn't work...I tried it a few times, and then I left the battery out, and just install the charger cord, and it worked. now all is working fine!

Thanks for this! I was just about to buy a new laptop.

Answer
+2
moins plus
Sheer brilliance!!. My ASUS V2S laptop was dead. Vista flashed up the symbols showing it was flicking quickly between power and battery. Thought there may have been a dodgy power connection. Then a few minutes later (when battery drained)... SPLAT. Little green light on the power adaptor was on, but little orange light on laptop was not.

Battery out, power unplugged, push power button for 45 secs, battery in, power plug in... back in town!!

Thanks PEIPAUL! Due to go on holiday in 2 days, but needing laptop to stay in touch with work. You'ver set my panic to rest.

Answer
+2
moins plus
I had the similar problem as above. One day, when i was playing game, the screen became black but the power button still glows. Then i turn off the power and restart the asus 1201n, but it didn't work. I guess it must have something with the old battery. So i replace it with a replacement battery i get from Sourcingmap. Then it works. Really amazing.

1 2 Next
This document entitled « ASUS Laptop does not power up » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.