Ask a question Report

My laptop Browsers won't connect to the web [Solved/Closed]

Phan - Latest answer on Oct 10, 2012 03:16PM
Hello, call me Phan.
I have a Dell laptop, windows vista, and I have had it since August. Everything works on it just fine. But yesterday when I turned my laptop on I recieved a few messages I never get. The Dell chat center that automatically comes up and connects to the internet said it could not connect to the internet. That was strange since I was getting a connection and my computer said I was connected. Then I tried to get online and neither Firefox nor IE would load a page. IE says the page cannot be displayed (for every website) and Firefox (my usual browser) will just load a blank page. Thats not all though, when I close the browsers out then I get a pop up message saying "Firefox/IE has stopped working. Check online for a solution? or Close program?" I tried to check online for a solution but nothing happens. Right now I'm on the internet but through the windows help and support. I don't see how it's working but If I try to get online myself I can't. Anything on my laptop that automatically connects to the internet when my computer starts up doesn't work. Like MSN messenger.
So, I have a connection, a strong connection, but nothing is connecting. What's wrong with my laptop? BTW: this is day 2 that it's doing this. Oh, and all the other computers in the house are not having this problem and they are all wireless.
Read more 
Answer
+113
moins plus
Go to the properties on your wireless adapter. In the "This connection uses the following items" box, uncheck the
internet protocol version6 (tcp/ipv6) box. Most routers dont support this protocol. Udless you have a N router. Then restart your pc. That how I fixed mine. I also have a dell inspiron 1525 running Vista that suddendly did'nt get online.
Hope this helps.

sile Crissylovin - Jun 10, 2010 05:25PM
To "lala86", I've been trying to fix my mum's laptop connection for soooo long now, I've really tried absolutely everything that has been suggested with no luck but I've just done what you said and success!! Thankyou sooo much ... I think it was probably a combination of things seeing as I've changed nearly every setting there is to change and reset them all and everything but somehow, that worked there now.
Thankyou!!!! =)
lala86- Oct 20, 2009 05:58PM
Thanks alsg! I was getting so frustrated, but your tip helped me out. I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP....I went to Control Panel....Network Connection....right click on wireless connection you're trying to connect to....click properties....click on internet protocol tcp/ip....click properties....then check obtain IP address automatically. That worked for me...hope it works for you all as well!
Daz- Apr 20, 2011 09:17AM
Thanks to all! Been trying to fix this for 2 weeks now after moving to Italy. For me the fix was changing my adaptor settings to 'obtain DNS address automatically'.
max- Oct 10, 2012 11:42AM
thanks man.....
April- Oct 10, 2012 03:16PM
Thank You! Spent hours trying to figure out what the deal was. This only took seconds. Awesome!
Answer
+15
moins plus
The culprit is definitly NORTON... i used the norton removal tool, and internet works perfectly again. You can get it from the norton website or by typing it on google.

Unistalling Norton from the computer does not completely remove all the components. The tool is required to remove everything.

sreekiz- Sep 12, 2009 07:32AM
Hi JB,

where did you find the Norton Removal Tool. I cant download from any site cos I cant connect to internet.
Thanks
Anne r- Apr 3, 2010 05:08PM
Norton removal tool for anybody looking for it, choose the option that suits your application:

http://service1.symantec.com/...
Answer
+9
moins plus
I am starting to wonder if this is a Vista issue. In the task scheduler, under Microsoft --> Windows --> Network Access Protection there is a task called NAPStatus UI. It will run Network Access Protection upon logon or after a system event 18. NAP is intended to keep unhealthy computers off a network. Perhaps pending installation of updates (system event 18) is triggering my loss of network access. Looking at my system event log, there appears to be a strong correlation to system event 18s and my encounters with lost network access. To test this hypothesis, I disabled one of the two triggers for this task. There must be another piece to the puzzle however. There are five other Vista machines on either my home or work networks that do not encounter this problem.

Answer
+5
moins plus
I am having the same problem all of a sudden. Does anyone know what to do?
I can only get Yahoo messenger but not IE nor Firefox, so I know my internet connection is actually working. I've had the laptop since May. I actually have never got Firefox to work and have tried so many different things. Now today all of a sudden my IE won't work. Please help!

nicole Rahn - Feb 11, 2010 06:36PM
Thank you so much, that fixed the problem :0)
Motherof2boys Rahn - Mar 6, 2010 10:51PM
Just had to respond to your fix to my problem....it worked perfectly!! I took my laptop to Cali with me a couple of months ago and could never connect to the internet through internet explorer once I got out there or at home....now I can get online with my laptop again...thanks so much for your fix!
Wendy55- Jan 26, 2010 05:40PM
I went back and reset my computer to the day before I started having problems and this finally fixed my problem!! YEAH!! Good luck to you all.
staplesTECH- Mar 21, 2010 11:34AM
thanks, i am a tech at staples and a customer just brought a computer with the same problem. i was going nuts for a bit trying to figure out what this problem was and then i came here to this site. thanks, resetting IE to its normal settings worked perfectly
Buttafly77- Jun 3, 2010 05:44PM
THANK YOU RAHN!!!!!!!!! KUDOS TO YOU!
Answer
+4
moins plus
Same issue on my laptop. Windows Vista and Norton Anti-Virus. I have a solid connection, I have successful pings to other computers on my network and on the internet. I could not ping the laptop however. IE comes up with blank pages.

I uninstalled Norton Antivirus and it works fine now. Got my internet back and can successfully ping the laptop.

Time to find another anti-virus it seems.

andy- Mar 3, 2010 11:35PM
hey how did you uninstall the norton antivirus all the way it is keeping my computer from accessing any browesers too i am very frusteradting and i went into as much as i could to delete it but i dont think i deleted it out of some where it is still running somehow where else did i forget can you help thanks
Anne r- Apr 3, 2010 04:55PM
Andy to completely remove norton so it leaves nothing behind use the removal tool from here:
http://service1.symantec.com/...
Dave- May 5, 2011 02:58PM
Worked with this recommendation! Huge thanks!!!!
Answer
+4
moins plus
I unistalled Norton and it worked. I restarted my computer and was able to access. Thanks to all for the advice.

For those of you who are not familiar with how to do this:
Start
Control Panel
Unistall a program(Add or remove programs/programs)
Select what you wnat to unistall
Restart your computer after you have unistalled and try to access again.

Hope this works out for you.

Answer
+3
moins plus
Dear Phan, first u have check IE browser setting. goto tools ---> internet Option --> select connections --> add connection if u connect with LAN(Ethernet cable) so u have go to lan setting and insert your net provider ip with port number. if not so add dialup coonection. i hope u should do.

Answer
+3
moins plus
why just stop working i i dont use norton Antivirus!:( what should i do??? need help!!!!!!!!

Anon- Jun 4, 2009 09:32PM
There are a number of things that can cause these problems. (Yeah, Norton is pretty much crap nowadays, I recommend using one of the Free ones you can get, like AVG).

You can have an internet connection, and if for any reason your internet is slower than normal, not be able to connect through your browser. Instant messengers require very little bandwidth, just kb's, so they could still be able to function even when you can't access the internet through your browsers. A strong wireless signal does not necessarily indicate a fast internet connection, just that you have a strong signal to the router. So try resetting routers, cable/dsl modems, etc.

Make sure its not a firewall issue by temporarily turning your windows (or other) firewall off. If that fixes it, you need to reconfigure firewall settings so that you can turn it back on.

Try other browsers, like Google Chrome or Firefox if you haven't already. If one works, uninstall & reinstall the others. If not, resetting all your browsers settings may help.

Sometimes its a matter of trial and error, and you just have to keep trying different things.

Hope that helps.
Answer
+3
moins plus
Hi, this is what I did on my Acer 4520 laptop. And it sure did solved my problem. But I have to warn you that you need to backup all of your important files first. For your information, i did try to do all the things being said in this forum, but unfortunately it didn't work on my laptop. So, to save a lot of unproductive time wasted. I did the following steps: Again Back up those important files!!!

1. Have your copy of the Operating System and device drivers of your machine. If you have a recovery disk, MUCH BETTER!!!
2. REFORMAT your hard drive. Reinstall the OS and Device drivers.
3. Setup your internet connection. Hopefully you can browse the internet now.
4. Make sure you INSTALL first the Anti-virus Program before surfing the net. UPDATE it ASAP!!! in my case I have 2 different Antivirus program running at the same time. (Immunize/give flu shots to your system first :-)
5. At the same time Check the security status of your OS. Specially the firewall. UPDATE IT ASAP!!!
6.Update your OS using (I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium) windows update program.
7. download other browsers, like firefox, opera, etc. IE8 seems to be promising...hopefully. Firefox is my default browser now.
8. create a system restore point.

That's it! I hope it will work on your machine too.

Kristin- Oct 6, 2009 02:50PM
I have Dell Insporon 1545. I couldn't connect to my wireless connection. The other computers in my house worked though. There should be a button on your keyboard, 3rd upper button from left ( in my computer same button as F2, than there's some other sign on it to). Try to click this button and see if you can get connected. It worked for me!
Molotov- Oct 19, 2009 10:09PM
Reformatting should always be the last resort... It will usually solve all most all software issue, but the hassle is usually more than whats its worth.
slimmerkins- Nov 16, 2009 03:36PM
Hey all, had the same problem listed above, the way I resolved the issue (after trying everything else) I went into McAfee Firewall settings and granted Firefox access. Firefox started working right away.

So there's no need to trash your virus protection software or wipe your system clean.
mikel123- Dec 12, 2009 04:28AM
can some oone helppppp none of my browsers word dammmmmmm ..
Answer
+3
moins plus
Hello guys

I had the same problem with the internet, and i'm not on a dell, i have a HP Pavilion dv4-1412la, I tried all the things that you can imagine but nothing resolved the issue, I had to restore the pc to it's factory settings by formating it and reinstalling everything. That solve the issue.... but I knew that it was something that could have been solved in way less radical. After all this I figured out that the problem was not due a spyware or any kind of virus, it was due to a P2P program called Ares, i'm not telling that this software is a malware or dangerous in any kind of way, but a friend of mine told me that he had the same problem and when he was running ares the browsers won't work but when he restarted the pc and closed ares the browsers worked fine, i tryed that on my laptop and it was true (at least in my case). So if you have any p2p software running try to close it, unmark it from the start up (you now.... type msconfig on the run menu......) and restart the pc, if the browsers woork fine Voila!!. If that's the problem and you still want to use the p2p software I think that you'll have to see if maybe the p2p is having any problems with the ports; if thats the case just give to it any other port and make sure that you open that port in your modem.

I hope this help you anyhow

Answer
+3
moins plus
THIS WORKED FOR ME:

Problem I faced :
# Everything was fine untill one day I uninstalled Norton Antivirus on my compaq laptop with Vista OS.
# IE, Firefox, Chrome -> none of these could connect to internet (Page not found error) after uninstalling Norton.
# Tried all possible things with Tools > Internet Options ... nothing helped
# Deleted the remaining files from Norton installation folder, norton entries in the Registry... nothing helped.

Result :
Frustration

Thought :
Wish I could get back to a state I was before uninstalling this Norton Antivirus.

This thought made me look for tools that can help me restore my system to the old nice state.

Solution:
System Restore tool of windows !

Best thing about this System Restore :
Restores the system back to the date we choose.. but does not affect the photos, documents that we have stored :) [as far as i read about the tool and i saw on my system... i may be wrong though.... please do not hold me responsible, if u run System Restore and loose data or face any other problems].

I suggest u read about the tool and decide if u want to run it or not. I'm just saying what worked for me.

How to run System Restore :
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Choose a different Restore Point > Next

Now, choose a suitable data .. in my case, i chose a date that was before i had uninstalled the Notrol suite.

The system will run restore and reboot the system (may take several minutes).

When the system restarted I was able to access all my favourite websites from all browsers. :)

Hope this helps !

pc nerd- May 2, 2010 06:33AM
i can not even get to system restore, windows features on any programs are not working, (programs.tools) nothing!!!
Answer
+2
moins plus
I am also running Vista and Norton Antivirus 2009. Starting in March, I would experience the same problem. All of a sudden, a complete loss of network access. I couldn't even see devices on my local area network. Restarting the computer would resolve the problem, but the problem has occurred 9 other times since then. I have tried just about everything including installing a second network card; replacing the network cable; and changing the port on the switch that connects my PC to the rest of Network. I uninstalled NAV yesterday and reinstalled it today. Hope that does the trick. If not, I'll be looking for another antivirus program.

stephen- Sep 19, 2009 09:23AM
I have exact same problem with Norton security 2009
My machine is HP pavilion.
Before I installed Norton, network is working.
after I installed Norton, IE & Firefox didn't work.
then I uninstalled Norton, IE&Firefox works.

Stephen
Anne r- Apr 3, 2010 05:05PM
Norton Security includes a firewall in the program and so usually a problem like this is because the browsers (or any other program that isn't getting access to the internet) is needing permission. Norton should have given you a prompt asking you to allow access, or it should have created its own "rule" and allowed access to IE or Firefox as it knows and recognises certain applications.
It's possible that windows own firewall has been left enabled as well as nortons one and so problems can occur.
Norton normally disables windows own firewall during installation but there's always the chance it hasn't successfully done this and so it should be checked in windows control panel off the start button.
Apart from this you could also try disabling extras from Norton such as the "safe web" utility in case this is clashing with something else in the browser.
Lastly, make ure you do not have another AV program that is enabled and active as well as the new Norton program.
Answer
+2
moins plus
Hey, has anyone found the solution to this yet? My boyfriends computer (Dell 1525) is doing the exact same thing. Just happened all of a sudden 2 days ago, it also does a disk scan when you start it up...

Any help would be much appriciated :)

Answer
+2
moins plus
ok, I've been reading everyones messages and it sounds like this problem isn't with Norton. I did uninstall it and the problem persisted. I get alot of error messages still and I'm thinking of sending my Laptop- Dell Studio 1325- back to be fixed.

George- Jun 15, 2009 03:47PM
Maybe Norton isn't the culprit. After installing and reinstalling NAV 2009, the problem reappeared today. I have been on vacation for the past week, so the problem took only one working day to reappear. I also have a Dell. A Dell Dimension 5150. I am not sure what is causing the failure of network/internet access, but this problem sure is a tremendous drain on productivity.
Answer
+2
moins plus
Do you have Norton 2009? I had the same problem a few days ago, and have found that it's Norton causing the problem. I had a connection but not able to connect to internet for 3 days. Various phone calls to BT technical help - their connection was fine. Went into Device Manager and noticed that yellow ! on network adaptors - Symantec link showing. I uninstalled Norton and could connect fine. Then reinstalled Norton and everything OK, although I had the same problem again today and have had to uninstall and reinstall. Then my daughter who lives away from home phoned - same problem, hadn't been able to get onto the internet for a week although she could see the connection on screen, uninstalled Norton and everything fine again! Think I'll get a different anti-virus!

Answer
+2
moins plus
Hello everyone, I have read and had this problem till a few seconds ago. From what I have read, is a process of elimination eventually. But the most common answer was removing antivirus programs, so on my lap top I had kerpesky and was expired. I had it turn off till I renew it but since I had the problem on having internet but the brower wont connect I said why not and I just unistall it and everything is fine now. So maybe thats your answer, remove your antivirus sofware and see if you can get back to normal. Good luck

Answer
+1
moins plus
nope...that didn't work. I have a dell inspiron 1525 (i think)

There is a button on either side of my computer one is the power button and the other is WiFI. I'm not sure but Isn't the wifi supposed to be on? I thought it was before but it isn't now.

asoka_79 21Posts Tuesday December 9, 2008Registration date July 14, 2009 Last seen - Dec 14, 2008 12:23PM
ok
Clazu- Oct 10, 2009 10:32AM
I have EXACTLY the same problem as Phan and none of the steps above have helped me at all... This is so frustrating as I bought this computer last month!!! Whats wrong with it!? Nobody has the same answer, but none of the answers help either!!!
Answer
+1
moins plus
I have the same issue as your but mine is on a regular PC... the work lp top works fine. it connects wireless... this pc is the only one actually hooked up to the line.... I cannot even reset it to a later date in time....
any advise on this one?

Answer
+1
moins plus
Uninstall Norton Internet Security, if you have it installed. Web browsers should start working after the reboot.

dstra- Jan 14, 2010 10:31PM
I have an acer aspire 5920 and it was giving me the same problems, uninstalling norten worked for me. I guess it depends on the computer, thanks for the advice!!!
Answer
+1
moins plus
having the same problem on my laptop, got strong signal, cant get connected through mozilla or ie. gonna try deleting norton and seeing what happens. tried doing a system restore but it wasnt successful. if deleting norton doesnt work, i have no idea what else to do.

1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « My laptop Browsers won't connect to the web » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.