Upgrading Vista to Windows 7

Solved/Closed
Sam - Aug 25, 2010 at 05:36 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 29, 2010 at 05:49 AM
Hello,

I currently have HP dv4 and it came with Windows vista. I thought of upgrading it to Windows 7.

So Can anyone give me any suggestion what should i do? Should i upgrade it to Windows 7 or stick with Vista. I want best performance from it and there itself want low system use

Here i love to play games in my HP and want my laptop to use small amount of system and want my laptop to be fast to work on.

So please help me out here. It will be highly appreciated

Thnks,
Sam
Related:

2 responses

Hi, every thing was working perfectly fine till the time i update my vista to sp2.(like you asked to do before upgrading to windows 7) well i did't update sp2 completely, i cancelled it on middle of downloading process and from that moment my inbuilt speaker in my HP pavilion dv4 stoped working.
It glows red in colour and when i press it, it takes/load for a moment and says problem found in internet explorer while my explorer 8 is working completely fine.

I also checked for online solution offered by windows and restarted but it didn't find any problem

but on the tray it says its working and can change the volume accordingly if i pluged in a headset and works perfectly

i double checked if there was any problem in Internet Explorer but did'nt found any

So did i do any thing wrong??

Please suggest me out here
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 28, 2010 at 08:10 AM
Hello,
You are not suppose to cancel any update process in the middle. If you do so, some files may
get corrupted. Try system restore.
Good Luck.
hey,
thnks alot, i m now able to restore the system up
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Aug 29, 2010 at 05:49 AM
Thank you for your feedback Sam, we appreciate it.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 25, 2010 at 06:20 PM
Hello,

Try this 1.

1) If you want to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7, then make sure

that you have "Service Pack 2" installed for your Windows Vista.

2)Click on the below link, download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

http://download.microsoft.com/...

It will scans your hardware, devices, and installed programs for known

compatibility issues. It will also gives you guidance on how to resolve potential

issues found, and recommends what to do before you upgrade.

3) Go to your manufacture website and make sure that Windows 7 drivers are

available.

Good Luck.
Hey! thanks a lot now i know a little more about upgrading to windows 7.
AND by the way does upgrading to 7 from vista slows down my laptop?????
Aug 26, 2010 at 06:29 AM
Hello,
If you run that upgrade advisor it will let you know about it. Make sure you meet all the requirements like RAM, harddisk space etc. According to Microsoft you should have 1GB RAM. But I think its better to have 2-3GB RAM.
Good Luck.
Hi,
Thanks a lot for the help but if you can just tell me how do i upgrdae advisor... i tried to google it but it did't help at all. can u tell me how do i do it?
Aug 27, 2010 at 08:53 AM
Hello,
Click on the below link and download the upgrade advisor
http://download.microsoft.com/...
Install it ---> then click on "Start Check" (Make sure you are connected to internet)
Wait for a while till it completes the process --> Then it will give you details about the upgrade.
Check "system requirement" section.
Example: the CPU requirements, RAM, HDD space etc.
Go to devices to check whether there are compatible with windows 7 or not. Check the other
options as well.
If you notice a green tick mark then it passed the minimum requirement.
If you notice a red cross mark then its not compatible with windows 7.
If you notice a "!" mark, then may be updates are available to make it compatible with Windows 7.
Good Luck.