Ask a question Report

No Sound on TV through Laptop [Solved/Closed]

Naz - Latest answer on Oct 21, 2012 05:08PM
Hi, I am wondering whether anyone can help. I have plugged a vga cable from my hp latop into my television which is fine and transmits the picture. However, when I have tried to put an RCA cable from my laptop in to my television (via a phono convertor) the sound still comes out of my laptop and not the tv speakers. Can any one help. Thanks in Advnace.
Naz
Read more 
Answer
+454
moins plus
Alright - listen up you confused puppies:

Computers have two seperate systems - one for video and one for sound.

The only computer (or laptop) connection that carries both video and sound is HDMI. If you do not have a HDMI/DVI connector on the back of your computer, then you will have to use the VGA-composite or s-video connectors to display your PC's output on an external monitor like an LCD TV.

On both my HP and Dell laptops the display settings (Start/Control Panel/Personalize/Display Settings) allow two modes - single or dual monitor mode. Single monitor mode allows me to switch between any one of three possible video outputs - VGA-composite, S-Video or laptop screen, or a split-desktop (display spread over two seperate monitors). Dual monitor mode allows the same display on any two of three possible video outputs.

Switching is performed using the fn keys on the keyboard (fn key plus the F2, F8, etc. function key with the display marking). You guys use single monitor mode until you figure out what your are doing. Select VGA-composite or S-Video.

Non-HDMI sound to your TV monitor or sound system must be obtained from your laptop's Headphone or S/PDIF jacks. Headphone is stereo and S/PDIF is 5.1 surround sound. Headphone is electrical, but S/PDIF may be electrical or optical (laser light). You must set the sound jack that you intend to use as the default on the PC control panel (Start/Control Panel/Sound).

None of these connectors is two-way in the context of an LCD monitor - your PC cannot record a TV picture or sound from the external monitor. To accomplish this you must purchase a video converter box that converts cable TV or video+sound inputs to USB format usable by your laptop. Do this and you can turn your laptop into a Tivo recorder/DVD burner using Beyond TV, Sage TV or a variety of other software packages.

charmsvp 2Posts Thursday May 27, 2010Registration date May 27, 2010 Last seen - May 27, 2010 02:34PM
when i hooked my laptop to the tv on video 1 it shows the picture but the sound is on video 2.
how can i make it to where both the picture and sound is on one video channel???
Linda L- Jun 12, 2010 10:21PM
I have a Macbook Pro that I just bought and we also just bought a Sony Bravia. I Have the video working fine (bought all the cables). However, I read in many places that I needed to buy a audio cable that has the mp3 audio jack on one end and the red and white audio tips on the other end but when I plug it in it DOES NOT work. I tried looking for setting but nothing comes up. I even tried using another cable the has a audio jack to audio jack (like a headphone ends on both sides) and plugging that in to the PC input on the tv to the headphone input on the macbook... and nothing! please HELP!!!!!!
Is there a setting or another cable????
yepenetty 1Posts Thursday October 11, 2012Registration date October 11, 2012 Last seen - Oct 11, 2012 01:32AM
If you have your HDMI cable connected, and can only get video but no sound.... I have had this problem before, and it took me a long time to figure it out.
I felt very dumb when I did, because it is a very easy fix.
First: Go to the start button.
Second: Click on control panel
Third: Click on sound
Click on change system sound
Clcik on playback
NOW THIS IS WHERE I WOULD GET STUCK.......... BECAUSE I ONLY SAW ONE DEVICE TO CLICK ON, AND THAT WAS "SPEAKERS"..........however.....

From there,

Right click on whatever device is showing..... (in my case, it was "speakers")
and then........

Click on "SHOW DISABLED DEVICES"........

Once you've done that, your TV device..... and whatever other devices you have attached will pop up, and you simply have to click on the proper device, click on either "activate this device" or "use this device" ........ click APPLY..... THEN..... Click OK....

and you should be good to go!
jaimie- Oct 11, 2012 07:11PM
I have a Samsung laptop and a 30" rca flat screen. I feel so dumb as I have the hdmi cable plugged in but can't seem to find how to set it up as I'm not getting anything please please help
Tiger- Oct 21, 2012 05:08PM
Thank you yepenetty you saved me much frustation :) Halo 4 here I come to the big screen!
Answer
+83
moins plus
I had the same problem and finally after spending hours going every configuration on my laptop, I realized that my HDTV had a specfic audio input jack for PC's only. Once I connected to the specifed PC audio input jack instant sound. I couldn't use the other audio input devices in the back of the TV.

Hope this helps!

Vivien- Mar 26, 2009 03:13AM
I wonder if you can help as I have had the same problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro P200-140 and a Sony Bravia TV. I have tried connecting my laptop to TV into the PC connectors on side of TV and I get sound only when using a VGA cable with audio cable (small jack point type), and when using an S-Video cable with the same audio cable I get the picture only but no sound. I have plugged the audio cable into the headphone socket on my laptop and into the audio socket for pc on my TV, the same as I did with the VGA cable, but I get a picture and no sound. So I am left with sound and no picture with the VGA cable and picture and no sound with the S-Video and can't seem to sort out the problem. Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.
c'man- Nov 30, 2009 04:53AM
Same here. Thanks to your feedback, I tried this and it worked. I could get only the PC audio input at the back to work (3.5mm M/M Stereo Audio Cable). The 3.5mm to AV phono did not work. Not sure whether it is some setting on TV or whether it is not supposed to work.
Answer
+57
moins plus
Go to control panel and go to sound and hardware (Just go to anything that says sound)!

Then go to sound and audio devices!

Go to Audio and change the default until sound comes out of tv!

Hope this helped! i tried it with my Hp dv6000 through hdmi cable!

Mystacina- Aug 1, 2009 03:19PM
Thanks for the info. People like you keep the internet flowing like a well oiled machice. ;)
Rob550- Feb 18, 2010 07:01PM
Awesome this worked I set hdmi as my default audio device under control panel/hardware and sound/manage audio devices. (Windows 7)

THX!!
ksadj- Mar 27, 2010 12:48PM
thank u !!!
kittyk- May 2, 2010 02:51PM
it didn't work!!
Thommo- Jun 11, 2010 07:35AM
Thanks man, that was easy. Just had to change default audio device to tv instead of laptop. Cheers
Answer
+53
moins plus
I have a HDMI cable hooked up from laptop to Samsung flatscreen with no problem, picture is excellent, however no sound from the TV, can you help?

Answer
+48
moins plus
You will need a double male headphone cord, hook one end into pc audio input on tv and one in the headphone jack on pc. this is for a VGA set up.

Answer
+33
moins plus
K, I figured this out. I have Windows 7 so I don't know how it will work for other OS's.

Now, go to Control Panel. Then go to Hardware and Sound. Click on Sound and you should get a new window. Right click on Digital Audio (S/PDIF) and click "Set as Default Device". Once you click it, you should instantly hear sound from your TV so be sure to have ur sound down.

Answer
+19
moins plus
For all of you trying to hook up your laptop to your hdtv with an hdmi cable, I have been trying for about 4 hours and I have finally figured it out. I read your suggestions but they did not help and then I turned off my tv and my laptop, hooked up the hdmi cable from my laptop first and then hdtv and then turned on the laptop first and once the laptop had booted fully, then turn on the tv and select the source and 'voila' (french for 'there')....it works. Hope this helps you guys out there having a hard time and makes you not want to pull your hair out.

big al- Feb 6, 2010 09:28AM
Had the same problem with my Dell laptop to Samsung HDTV. I've read all of the above and went for the Control Panel "classic view" solution. Go to Control Panel > Sound > and change speakers to HDMI as your "default," and sound comes roaring out of the HDTV. I'm sure I'll forget to reset the default when I want sound to come out of my laptop, but that will come in time! When in doubt, choose the simplest solution!
HairOnEnd- Feb 26, 2010 12:51PM
Imagine you're talking to the Stupidest Man On Earth. My VGA-ethernet thing's connected from laptop to tv. Picture works, no sound. Is there a really, really simple way of achieving sound?
Answer
+11
moins plus
hey did you get this to work? I am having the same issue!

Thanks!

longislander- Feb 20, 2010 06:17PM
i figured it out, its easy, just run a long headset wire from your laptop into the sound slor in the back of your tv, most of the new tv's have them, it is the same fitting on both ends, headest speaker wire, I was lucky i g=had a 5 foot one laying around and it works great...it turns off laptop speakers and runs the tv speakers, awesome...
Nika- Mar 21, 2010 06:36PM
This def works! thank you!
Answer
+8
moins plus
I had the same problem.

For video, I used a VGA cable from my laptop to my TV then right-clicked on my desktop, selected GRAPHICS OPTIONS --> OUTPUT TO --> MONITOR

For sound, I plugged my headphone jack from my laptop into my "PC sound in" jack on my TV. Then I had to play around with my TV's audio settings and make it recognize that my sound was plugged in.

Hope this is helpful!

-- Deks --

teenie- Oct 26, 2009 11:42AM
we just hooked our labtop up to our tv with a s-video wire. we also had no soud we were reading about what ever one wrote my son took a headphone wire and spliced it to the red a white wires and put the headphone side the headphone port on the labtop and the red and white in the back of the tv and now we have sound coming out of the tv.
Answer
+6
moins plus
I too have a sony bravia, In the tv where should i connect the audio output. btw if i select pc on my tv as input, how would it effect even if i connect the audio output on some other external setting.(like video1,video2 etc)

Answer
+6
moins plus
I have had a similar problem for a while now.I play "SPOTIFY" on my laptop and wanted a simple audio connection to my tv speakers.VGA connection required shutting down the computer while the connection cable was inserted and then a repeat performance when they were removed.I purchased a minijack to rca cable and tried pluging that in to the headphone jack on my laptop and the composite (red and white)rca ports on the tv ,guess what?no sound,I then replaced my scart to scart on my dvd player with a scart to rca cable,I connected the video(yellow)connection to the tv and then the rca cable from my laptop to the audio rca ports(red and white)on the tv,hey presto the tv now thinks the sound from the laptop is coming from the dvd player and i can listen to my laptop through the tv and diconnect it with no problems whenever i want to.

Scoops313- Feb 27, 2010 04:41PM
Great workaround - finally an answer I can understand - Cheers !
Answer
+5
moins plus
you just need to get jack to jack cable and it work , i was having same problem but i fix i

Answer
+5
moins plus
you need to put jack in the audio port in headphone port then in the audio port in lcd

Answer
+4
moins plus
Hello,
I want to watch videos I have on my laptop through my TV. I have bought a VGA cable which I have connected to the TV and it displays the film through the PC channel on the television but no sound! I have also connected a cable (white and red one end) into TV and other end into the headphone jack on the laptop. This produces the sound through the TV but on the S Video channel not the PC channel. So basically I can watch the film with no sound or listen to the film with no visual as they are both on different channels.
Is there a way to have the two working together?? ?? Thanks in advance.

matcube- Jan 30, 2010 08:35AM
Zona, I have the same problem with my Bravia TV, connected the PC via VGA and sound via the cable that takes the 3.5mm jack output to the TV RCA in. For few days it worked fine, then it stop in the middle of a movie. Now I can only either listen or watch, depending on the input I choose for the TV (AV3 or PC). Anybody knows what could have caused it and how to solve it?

Matcube
Answer
+4
moins plus
My dad had this problem, we have a sony bravia, what you need to do is:
1.Buy a cable that has the same connection as a headphone cable but it has that bit both sides
2. Connect the cable to your tv.
3. Connect the cable to your Laptop etc.
4. Connect the xga cable cable or vga , rgb, S- Video and any sort of video type.

And if you have a Sony Bravia cause we do. I is graanteed to work.
But if you dont know how to make it show here is what you have to do:

Go to where it shows an arrow in an circle.

Down down to PC or S - Video or HDMI
Then change your resulution to the right amount.

Hope this helps you!

Answer
+4
moins plus
I have currently hooked my mac book to my sam lnt32 moddle, i have also ran from my headphone jack to a splitter, to the red and white audio inputs next to the VGA input. Although i am still not recieving any audio threw the tv speakers?

I was wondering if there is a setting threw the sam sung that i might need to do, because threw the audio settings on the laptop there is only one choice for audio out, and that is currently the built in output.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Answer
+4
moins plus
control panel
hardware and sound
change systems sound on play back
change playback default to hdmi

it should automatically go back to laptop sound when you unplug your hdmi cable

Answer
+3
moins plus
I had the same problem when i tried to connect the first time from my HP laptop to my Sony Bravia tv with a HDMI cable i had to use an other RCA cable for sound. But the next time i did nothing but just changed the port from Hdmi1 to HDMI2 on the TV and surprisingly the sound was coming from the TV( i dint use any RCA this time). Hope this helps ...

Answer
+2
moins plus
I have connected my HP laptop with HDTV with HDMI cable, i get good quality video but no sound. if i have to use a separate audio output as my HDTV as PC audio input what kind of cable should i look for

Bayougeezer- Jul 12, 2009 10:25AM
One responder on another site suggested 3.5 to 3.5 headphone cable going from laptop headphone to TV headphone (if your TV has one). Would this work for you?
bbbb- Dec 29, 2009 07:48AM
a/v cord
Answer
+2
moins plus
You might check the sound settings on your laptop. Similar to the video settings the sound sometimes has to be tweeked to work properly on a new device.

1 2 Next
This document entitled « No Sound on TV through Laptop » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.