New mainboard installed

Solved/Closed
Esecman Posts 4 Registration date Saturday November 26, 2011 Status Member Last seen November 27, 2011 - Nov 26, 2011 at 06:09 PM
 Blocked Profile - Nov 27, 2011 at 10:03 AM
Hello,

I have just purchased and installed an ASrock G31M-S R2.0 with an Intel Dual core E5200. The mainboard uses DDRII which is compatible with that which I have 2GB xR2 333Mhz 667 times 2, 4GB.

Now to the problem; The first time I turned it on everything went fine, I was able to re-install Win7 Pro 32Bit. After I had all the configuration done in Win7, meaning it was running for over two hours straight. Upon running it down for the second time that is when the problem started, yet I am not conviced it has to do with OS.

When I start the machine and let it run, it takes between 5 and 1 minute before the Monitor goes black, Standby mode. Upon restarting I simple went into Bios and waited, low and behold, again the monitor went into Standby, yet the machine is still running, whether it has hung or not I do not know as I can see nothing, yet I am guessing, yes it hung.

I have confirmed the CPU settings. I have re-paste the Heatsink 3 times, each time varying the amount, at this point very thin layer. I have disconnected HDs, CD-Rom, USB and audio connection cable inside and out. Regardless of what I do, the monitor goes into the Standby Mode. So, before you ask, I will just say, yes, I tried a different Monitor with the same results.

If there is some relation, the reason why I bought the new mainboard was simply because the old mainboard, basically did the same thing with the difference that it just shut the machine down.

If I let the pc sit for about 5 minutes then I can start it up again and you will actually see the boot sequence........ for 5sec upto 1 min., then the games start all over again. I am using the same CPU and Ram from the other mainboard.

I would sincerely appreciate some tips, other than buy a new one, which I had just done. LOL ;-) Thank you very much

1 response

Blocked Profile
Nov 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM
If you leave it in the BIOS and the screen still goes blank then this isnt to do with your installation.

do the fans still spin?

are you using onboard video or a graphics card?

try a different power lead.
try a different power socket.

Your power supply unit may be faulty.

strip the PC down to just having the CPU and memory install and leave it at BIOS - does it happen then?
Esecman Posts 4 Registration date Saturday November 26, 2011 Status Member Last seen November 27, 2011
Nov 27, 2011 at 02:45 AM
Hi kieferschild,

I have two fans, one on the Heatsink and on the Power supply, both of which are spinning as this happens, and stay spinning once the Screen is black. I have both on-board and PCI (Express) graphic card. Regardless of which one I use the problem still happens.

I will try out your tips and get back. I would agree with you on the power as that is the only common denominator. Thank you

Esecman
Esecman Posts 4 Registration date Saturday November 26, 2011 Status Member Last seen November 27, 2011
Nov 27, 2011 at 05:36 AM
I think I just figured it out. I have in the PC an FSP250-60HEN, "Long story, short". I am trying to run this whole thing with 250Watts. I would surmise that this is not enough, dahhhhhhhhh. Something that I did not take in consideration, I thought the mainboard had the same specs as the previous one. So now I need to test this theory, wish me luck.
Nov 27, 2011 at 09:53 AM
Well, that was it. Just as a note to all. The PSU plays a very big role in even the most basic part to a PC. When upgrading remember it may also require the upgrade of other hardware elements. Do not be stupid like me and take it for granet that even thing should work without putting a little thought to it.

Again, thank you for the information, it was actually the thing that solved it.

Bests
Esecman
Blocked Profile
Nov 27, 2011 at 10:03 AM
Thanks Esecman,

glad to know your issue is fixed.