Hard drive failed need help please!

Closed
Nancycs Posts 1 Registration date Saturday March 29, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 29, 2014 - Mar 29, 2014 at 03:08 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Mar 29, 2014 at 04:15 PM
Hi - I hope someone can help me with this!

I have a Sony Vaio VGN NW235D, it had a S.M.A.R.T drive failure, and I had to replace my hard drive. Which I did successfully.

BUT, now it is not finding my Windows 7 operating system which was included with my purchase (without the media)!!

I did create a repair disk and back-up disk when I bought it. But it is still not starting Windows. I can see system restore, diagnosis, and the X drive that does show a lot of files.

I saw in a previous note the Hold Alt +F10 together would start the Factory Restore process. But when I did it I got a blue screen with warnings.

I called Sony and they said I need to purchase a Windows 7 Recovery Disk, because the disk I created does not work correctly and it is not still under warranty. But they didn't have one for my model and the retail store is not close.

Does anyone know how I can get into the hidden partitions in my computer that will recover my Windows without purchasing the Recovery Disk?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 29, 2014 at 04:15 PM
The hidden partition was on the failed hard drive. It's not on the NEW drive at all.

It might be possible to partition the new drive exactly like the old one. Then, it's possible your backup disk will work.

The best way is to find a repair shop that has a OEM copy of Windows 7. With the Microsoft COA on your computer sticker they can install a new copy of Windows on the new drive. They should only need to charge for labor.