How do I make my Gateway computer safe to return to manufacturer

Closed
Rerun Posts 1 Registration date Thursday May 29, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 29, 2014 - May 29, 2014 at 06:22 PM
 Blocked Profile - May 29, 2014 at 08:05 PM
I am trying to remove all necessary confidential info from my Gateway NE56R41u. It is a new computer with defective keyboard. It has been returned once and I recall removing all of my confidential info before returning it. I have forgotten the steps needed to restore it to new condition. Please help!

2 responses

Blocked Profile
May 29, 2014 at 07:22 PM
Hello,

they're bound to follow the code of the Data Protection Act which prevents them from looking at your files.

If you really want to recovery, didn't you get any CDs?
No CD with later models of computers. I always have to make my own or order one. I usually order one. I am taking this computer back to the store for a replacement. The reason is, I bought this computer new in June, 2013. From the very beginning the keyboard malfunctioned. I called the manufacturer. They claim that it is a software issue not covered by warranty. I purchased an extended warranty when I purchased the computer. I was working on a manuscript. When you begin to type, the letters were out of order. The faster you type, the more jumbled it becomes. Then the page will completely disappear from the page. This is a new computer doing this. I did not install the software. Everything is installed with Norton antivirus and other Norton products these days. I finally sent it back to the manufacturer, which cost me $50.00. When it came back, it was still not working right, but was better. They claim they installed a new keyboard. I called them back, so they sent me to InTechnology. Another large fee was charged....still no luck. They removed all Norton products and replaced it with McAfee. The computer finally went down about 6 months ago. I was so upset that I put it back in the box and put it in the closet with my warranty and receipts for the repairs. I got it out recently, and was able to get it on, but the keyboard is a big joke. I spoke to a person who works for the company I bought it from. They will take it back and return my money or give me a new computer. Therefore, I prefer to remove anything such as programs, passwords, e-mail, and anything saved to protect myself. Nothing is safe out there in the world of modern technology, so why take a chance!! I make a mistake when I purchased this computer, because this manufacturer is not trustworthy!!

Rerun
I do appreciate the answer I received from you. Good luck and God bless you for helping others in solving their computer problems as well as any thing else you do in helping others!

Rerun
Blocked Profile
May 29, 2014 at 08:05 PM
If you're going to hand it back in for a refund then they'll restore it to factory settings. As i said, they're legally not allowed to view your data due to the Data Protection Act unless they have a court order. Just put a password on it if it will help ease your mind.