How to connect internet while on vacation

Closed
HkyBrky - Mar 9, 2009 at 06:32 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Mar 11, 2009 at 05:39 PM
Hello,
I recently inherited my parents older Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop. I am average for knowledge on regular desktops. I know NOTHING about setting up wireless internet or anything. I have a Linksys wireless adapter and I also purchased a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point. To be honest I dont know what the purpose of the Access point is. I am using my laptop right now from home and am able to connect to my Verizon Fios without using the access point, just the adapter. I tried to take my computer this weekend to my parents to see if I could access the internet with just using the wireless adapter and it did not work. I am worried I will not be able to take my computer on my vacation and work remotely. I know the home I will be will not have a computer but I was thinking I could connect thru some other wifi connections. Is this what the purpose is for the access point? Do I need to have this hooked up where I will be staying in order to pick up signal outside their home? Does this make any sense at all? As I said, I do know really understand how the wireless world works. HELP! I need to be able to work with the internet while on vacation.

Much appreciated!

Hkybrky
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 11, 2009 at 05:39 PM
Your Wireless Access Point is needed only when you want to connect Wirelessly. It acts as an interface between the internet (via the Verizon Fios connection) and your wireless devices. The access point (also called a Wireless Router) must be initialized with a SSID (a name for your router) and you should add password encryption for security. Taking your Access Point to the Vacation home will not work without a broadband connection to the internet.

When you travel and try to use the laptop wireless adapter, it will scan the radio signals and show you what access points (wifi) are available and their encryption status. You must either know the password or connect to an unencrypted network. Most people will use encryption on their home routers to lock out freeloaders. If you find a free connection it might be scanning your data for ID's and passwords.
I would NEVER do any banking over a wireless connection.
Practice using wireless by using known free sites - such as Starbucks or a local library.

Good Luck