How to Repair Large Outlook 2007 PST on Windows 7

Solved/Closed
coxsilvester Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday June 3, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 5, 2015 - Jun 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM
paulmay247 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday June 3, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 7, 2015 - Jun 7, 2015 at 06:58 AM
Hello,

User running Windows 7, with Outlook 2007, 20 GB PST.
User has two email account, 1 may be an IMAP, 1 may be POP, or both can be POP (I'll check if necessary)
No Exchange accounts.
Outlook wouldn't start, so I used SCANPST to repair (took hours, of course). Outlook ran slowly, but now is getting stuck again.
Ran Windows 7 Error-checking, with "Scan For and attempt recovery of bad sectors".
My thought was to:
Restart with startup items turned off.
Upgrade to Office 2013
See if Outlook will open the PST
Run SCANPST again
Does SCANPST compact the PST ?
Should I compact after running SCANPST ?
If I get Outlook Running, should I move old messages to separate PST files, a year at a time?
Any 3rd party repair tools that I can use?
Thanks.

Related:

2 responses

paulmay247 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday June 3, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 7, 2015
Jun 7, 2015 at 06:58 AM
Run Windows 7 Error-checking, with "Scan For and attempt recovery of bad sectors".
This means the file was physically damaged.
If I get Outlook Running, should I move old messages to separate PST files, a year at a time?
I use Archiving. I have email back to 1996 and only a 1 GB main PST file. You can move emails to separate PST files, but Archiving does this automatically.
The maximum size of an Outlook 2007 file is 20Gb; the maximum size of an Outlook 2013 file is 50Gb. So the newer version can handle more email.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/troubleshoot/data-files/file-size-limits-of-pst-and-ost-files-are-larger
However, very large PST files tend to slow down Outlook and Archiving is one excellent way to prevent issues.
Look at here also please
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140901110014AABteIa
Blocked Profile
Jun 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM
Create a new Outlook profile and PST.

Once in Outlook go to File > Open

select the 20GB PST file and before you press open, press the arrow to the side of it and do open and repair.