Hard drive wont connect proporly

Closed
ricalexandre Posts 1 Registration date Sunday December 13, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2015 - Dec 13, 2015 at 10:20 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Dec 14, 2015 at 02:49 AM
Hey.
I have a Toshiba 1tb external hard drive. It has served me well until I upgraded to windows 10. I put all my photos and everything on it before I upgraded thinking "just in case" Now that I have windows 10 installed, I pluged in my hard drive to get everything off it and it was fine for a couple folders, then it wouldnt transfer big folders, then it wouldnt transfer a few folders at a time, then i could see all my folders and files it would freeze if i tried to transfer or open them. Now when i plug it in and go to my computer i see the icon for it and the address bar starts to turn green, then it gets slower and slower until it stops at about 95% recognized.

Ive tried pluging it into a computer with windows 7, windows 8(which is what i used to have and put all the stuff on there) and it does the same thing. Geek squad is no help, they say they cant help. But the weird thing is that, if I plug it into my $40 blu ray player I can see everything, watch the videos, see the pictures and listen to the music so I know it isnt totally gone I just have no idea what to do.

Any help would be awesome, how to get it working or even some weird way to just get the stuff off.

Thanks
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 14, 2015 at 02:49 AM
Hi ricalexandre,

Sometimes Unix based systems detect and open devices with some connectivity issues. It is a good sign that the Blu Ray shows the content but, sadly, this does not mean that the drive is working properly. I suggest you to boot your PC from a Linux Live CD. You may be granted access to your files and the possibility to copy the data. If you manage to do so, format the drive and download the drive manufacturer’s diagnostics tool. Do complete drive scan. If I were you, I would try with another USB cable too.

Hope this helps