One of my external hard disk folders freezes.

Closed
JUNAIDFARIDKHAN Posts 2 Registration date Saturday March 5, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 7, 2016 - Mar 5, 2016 at 10:38 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Mar 8, 2016 at 04:10 AM
Hi,

I have a 320 GB Hard Disk. All the folders in the hard disk are working except one. I recently cut and pasted this folder from my Microsoft surface. And there was some error while transferring. I can see most of the pictures inside the folder but once i access the folder it freezes. I have tried chkdsk. It shows no error on disk. I have also tried to error check using properties tab but still nothing happens. There are other folders with pictures and all of them work perfectly fine. I am using windows 10.

I have over 2000 pics in the folder. Please help.
Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Mar 7, 2016 at 03:03 AM
Hi JUNAIDFARIDKHAN,

I strongly recommend you to check the hard drive on another PC and with another USB cable. Try accessing the folder while in Safe Mode. Running chkdsk was a good idea and it is a good sign that there are no errors on the disk. I advise you to update your antivirus and do a complete scan. Let me know if there is any progress.

Hope this helps

JUNAIDFARIDKHAN Posts 2 Registration date Saturday March 5, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 7, 2016
Mar 7, 2016 at 07:45 AM
Hello,

Thank you for your answers. I have tried the hard disk on Microsoft surface as well as on Mac book besides my current Acer Laptop. But it still shows the same issue. I have gone to Safe-mode in windows too but nothing happens. I am able to access all other folders. I strongly believe the issue is with this folder. I am able to see most of my pictures but they take days to load from the folder. I copied a few pictures to my laptop once the pictures were fully loaded and after transfer to my laptop (acer), i am able to see these pictures clearly without any long wait.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Mar 8, 2016 at 04:10 AM
So basically there is no problem reading information from the drive, when it comes to quality and there is no data loss. The issue is the long loading times of the content of the specific folder. Is it possible to backup all other information (except that folder) and delete it from the external? Try accessing the folder again. I would try booting from a Linux Live CD. It is worth to check it as no installation is required. You only need to boot from an external device. Check for some versions online. Most of them are free. If you have the time, do drive defragmentation and check the device with another USB cable.