Asus laptop won't restart after USB was plugged in

Closed
paintsplat Posts 2 Registration date Monday June 6, 2016 Status Member Last seen June 7, 2016 - Jun 6, 2016 at 08:34 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jun 8, 2016 at 04:55 AM
I have an Asus laptop that is about a year old. One of the USB ports on the left side doesn't work. It's hard to explain but there is a chip in all the USB ports and in this one there isn't. I wanted to see if it would still work even without this chip. I plugged in my USB and my computer shut down immediately and it won't restart. This has happened before but I don't know if this was the reason it stopped working the first time. The first time it just shut down and wouldn't turn back on. On the right corner of the laptop there are indicators that tell you whether the laptop is charging or not. It is green when it is charged and orange/red when it is charging. When I try and charge it none of these indicators come up, which shows me the problem wasn't low battery. The first time this happened I took it into a repair show and they didn't specify what was wrong with it they just took it apart and put it back together again and then it was fine. I don''t want to pay more money to get it fixed and I was wondering if there was another way?
Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jun 7, 2016 at 04:52 AM
Hi Paintsplat,

Sometimes a broken port could cause a lot of damage to a PC. Sadly, it is highly possible that, if the port was damaged, may have caused damage to the motherboard. That is why disconnecting the hardware and reassembling the PC didn’t work as expected. You should ask a technician to test the motherboard and tell you if the damage can be repaired. Contact the laptop manufacturer’s support and ask for some guidance on what to do if you need a motherboard replacement.

Hope this helps