When creating formulas and equations on Microsoft Excel, users have the option of inserting multiple functions and conditions into a formula to attain a desired result. This action is often referred to as nesting. This tutorial will walk you through how to combine the SEARCH, ISERROR and IF functions to scan a document for a particular data piece, and mark it with a particular coding piece in the adjacent column.
How to use nestled functions in Excel?
Before beginning, here is a quick run down of the Microsoft Excel functions needed for this to work.
The SEARCH function is used to find a piece of data in an Excel spreadsheet.
The ISERROR function is used to check for error values.
The IF function specifies a condition within the data.
Nestled loops with the IF logical operator can be implemented to seek out a particular word in a column. Together with the ISERROR and SEARCH functions, this formula will allow you to scan a column for a certain word (e.g. "apple") and place a code (e.g. "A") into the adjacent cell each time the word is found.
Combined SEARCH, IF, and ISERROR Function
N.B. The following formula assumes that your data ranges from A1 to A100 (or beyond). If so, the formula should be placed into column B1 and dragged down. You should adjust the column labels depending on the location of your data.
IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("*apple*",A1,1)),"","A ") F(ISERROR(SEARCH("*orange*",A1,1)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("*grapes*",A1,1)),"","C"),"B"),"A")
Need more help with Excel? Check out our forum!
- Excel if range of cell contain a text put a cell value in [solved] > Forum - Excel
- Search vba code in excel
- How to apply a function to multiple sheets on Excel > Guide
- Spreadsheet Functions
- Apply an IF Function Using Dates and Text
- How to disable auto recover in Excel
- How to create a drop-down Llst in Excel
- How to run macro when data entered in a cell
- How to copy data to another workbook: using VBA
- Insert picture in Excel: cell, shortcut, using formula
- How to show or hide formula bar in Excel: VBA, shortcut
- How to enter multiple lines in a single Excel cell
- How to automatically transfer data between sheets in Excel
- VBA Excel color codes: index number, list
- Repeat rows in Excel: based on cell value, VBA
- How to use Excel color cell if formula
- What is the VBA code to select last sheet in workbook
- How to count names in Excel: formula, using COUNTIF
- How to use an IF statement to add 1 to total
- How to display multiple columns in a validation list
- How to insert file path in excel: cell, sheet
- Convert numbers to words in Excel: without VBA, formula
- How to copy a Macro into a blank cell
- How many IF statements can you nest in Excel
- How to perform a partial cell match in Excel?
- How to change author name in Excel: spreadsheet, VBA
- How to insert GIF in Excel: 365, sheet, VBA
- How to take screenshot in Excel: shortcut, sheet, cell
- How to enable VBA in Excel: Mac, Office 365
- Copy data from one excel sheet to another: automatically
- Change date format in Excel: to dd/mm/yyyy, mm/dd/yyyy
- Fix arrows keys in Excel: Scroll lock, alternative method
- Insert a hyperlink in Excel: with text, to another tab