Atom download in progress
You will be automatically redirected to the homepage in 30 seconds.
Meet Atom, a very powerful coder's companion! Whether you're a seasoned developer or just starting your coding journey, Atom is your trusty sidekick for crafting beautiful, error-free code. With its sleek interface, endless customization options, and a treasure trove of community-made plugins, you are fully equipped to work efficiently and collaboratively.
What is Atom?
Atom was a free open-source source code editor developed by GitHub and available on Windows, macOS, and Linux. Atom is known for its user-friendly interface, extensibility, wide range of community-contributed packages, collaborative features, and all the themes that enhance its functionality and appearance.
On June 8, 2022, GitHub announced that Atom's end-of-life would occur on December 15, 2022, "to prioritize technologies that enable the future of software development", like its GitHub Codespaces and Microsoft's Visual Studio Code.
What are the key features of Atom?
- Fully-featured source code editor: It is way more than a simple source code editor as, despite providing everything you need to type and edit text, it also handles projects, file hierarchy, and folders. Hence, it supports syntax highlighting, smart autocompletion, find-preview-and-replace, and it comes with a wide range of programming languages.
- The interface: The interface is modern, clean, efficient, and customizable. You can easily drag-and-drop windows to split your different views (pretty vital when working on several files or comparing them), and accessing the different folders and files from the hierarchy is easy. Regarding customization, you can install many different plugins to pimp your experience or try one of the various themes (600+) and layouts.
- Extensibility: The significant contribution of Atom is that you can extend its native functionality through an extensive collection of community-created packages (over 2000). Those packages can shape and transform your experience in many ways, like adding version-control features or lining, additional tools, and more.
- Package manager: Luckily, Atom also comes with a built-in package manager to assist you in managing, installing, and updating all your different packages.
- Collaborate: Yes, indeed, it even supports real-time collaboration thanks to the Teletype package. For example, you can work on the same file with multiple developers and share everything instantly.
- Cross-platform: Windows, macOS, and Linux are supported to break down operating system borders and let everyone work together. Besides, Atom is quite lightweight and optimized overall.
How to use Atom?
- Once you have installed Atom, launch it, and the welcome guide will list all the different things you can do.
- Click on one of the different guides, like "Open a Project", "Version control with Git and GitHub", "Choose a theme", "Customize the Styling", "Add a Snippet", or any other available guides.
- You are now ready to start using Atom.
Is Atom free?
Yes, Atom is a completely free-to-use open-source solution.
Is Atom safe?
Yes, it is safe to use Atom.