Notepad++ is a famous free and open-source text editor that offers lots of handy features and is compatible with lots of languages, including programming languages. Moreover, Notepad++ offers lots more features than the classic Notepad, an enhanced user experience, and tons of ways to customize it to fit your needs the best it can.
What are the key features of Notepad++?
- Lightweight and optimized: Notepad++ has been written in plain C++ and uses Win32 API and STL that ensure a fast execution and smaller program size on your computer. Moreover, as many routines as possible have been designed to work optimally.
- An extendable environment: Thanks to the plugin system, you can extend and enhance the Vanilla environment the way you want, depending on your needs. From autosave to multi-clipboard, spell checker, JSON file format parser, and even add a code compiler, there are infinite ways to improve your experience and build a unique and fine-tuned environment.
- Supports tons of programming languages: Notepadd++ natively supports tons of languages it will automatically recognize if you want to. You will also be able to customize and choose your text and code color themes depending on what kind of language you are using.
- Handy tab system: The tab system allows you to work on several documents at once, so you can consult and perform cross documents tasks in a few clicks. Once you start using Notepad++, you never go back.
- Powerful search engine: Thanks to the full-featured search engine, you will be able to locate and replace any piece of text based on diversified criteria, including regular expressions. Search incrementally, reach, replace, and more in only a few simple steps.
- Keyboard shortcuts: All the available shortcuts will make your life easier, especially if you have to write many texts or lines of code. Almost every option has its dedicated shortcut binding to perform tasks as fast as lightning.
- Zoom and auto-completion: Make your typing task simpler and use the holly auto-completion feature. Once Notepad++ has identified the language, it will help you complete lines of code. You can also zoom in and out as much as you want to reduce eye strain.
- Customize your editor style: Thanks to all the available themes online, you will be able to customize the whole look of your editor and make it look the way you want. If you wish, you can also create your own.
- Modern: Even though Notepad++ was first released a long time ago, it is still regularly updated to add more features and enhance the user experience.
How does it work?
This is very easy, download the Notepad++ software we provide you at the top of the page and install it on your computer. Once that's done, you can open existing text files with Notepad++ to edit or create new ones.
Is it free?
You can download and use Notepad++ for free.
How to compare texts using Notepad++?
The software includes a specific plugin to compare texts, called Notepad++ Compare Plugin. Installing plugins to Notepad++ is very easy and can be done in a few steps:
- Go to Plugins > Manage Plugins.
- Type "compare" or the appropriate plugin's name in the search bar and find the one you are looking for.
- Check the box and click Install.