WinMerge is an open-source programming tool for differencing and merging documents.
What are the key features of WinMerge?
- Comparing: One of the particularities of WinMerge is its ability to display 2 source codes of 2 different applications simultaneously. This option is helpful when comparing pieces of code from similar application. It can also compare images, folders, tables, and various files.
- Editing: Another function of this software is that it enables the user to modify the source code of the application as they wish. And it also allows the detection of possible errors contained therein.
- Merging: WinMerge enables the user to merge the code in a single file once the modifications are done. With that option, it is also possible to create patch files to upgrade the original application.
- Multilingual: WinMerge is available in multiple languages, including English, French, Dutch, German, Russian, Spanish, and more.
- Advanced features: Apart from these features, this software supports various advanced settings such as syntax highlighting, shell integration, archiving media in Zip files, and many others.
- Extendable: You can extend its features by adding plugins, like the WinMerge Excel plugin to compare Excel files.
How does WinMerge work?
And still, you might ask: What is the use of WinMerge? It helps you to determine what has changed between project versions, compare versions, and merge them if needed. Although, it requires minimum knowledge of programming to modify source codes.
Is WinMerge free?
WinMerge is an open-source program, entirely free of charge. However, you can make a donation to its developers.