Gboard is a handy app created by Google. It lets you type faster, translate phrases, and switch between various languages, as well as search for GIFs and emojis quickly on the go. An indispensable tool if you use messaging and email a lot in your work life and would like to automate several typing processes.
What are the key features of GBoard?
- Glide Typing: the ability to type faster by sliding your finger from letter to letter.
- Voice typing: you can dictate your text on the go and the keyboard will transcribe it for you.
- Handwriting: the ability to write in cursive and printed letters.
- Multilingual typing: if you often write in different languages and mix them up sometimes, Gboard can help. It will autocorrect your phrases and suggest words from any of your enabled languages (there are more than 50).
- Other features: quick emoji and GIF search, Google Translate integration for faster and automated translations.
How does Gboard work?
- Gesture cursor control: Slide your finger across the spacebar to move the cursor
- Gesture delete: Slide left from the delete key to quickly delete multiple words
- Make the number row always available: enable it in Settings → Preferences → Number Row.
- Symbols hints: Show quick hints on your keys to access symbols with a long press (enable in Settings → Preferences → Long press for symbols)
- One-handed mode: On large screen phones, pin the keyboard to the left or the right of the screen.
Is Gboard free?
Yes, Gboard is completely free of charge.