My monitor cannot get a signal

Closed
Jmskeoch - Updated on Nov 17, 2017 at 09:22 PM
 Jmskeoch - Nov 18, 2017 at 03:41 PM
Hello, I recently have discovered a problem with my monitor and/or possibly with my computer.

This week I have completed my first PC build and was able to install windows, run the BIOS and do everything a normal computer could do just fine, until Wednesday. I was using my computer and then had to go to an appointment for two hours, so I turned everything off, left and came back only to realize my computer cannot find a signal, even though it worked two hours ago. I have tried so many things, such as rearranging ram, unplugging the power cord for 30 secs and plugging it back in, unplugging all wires and plugging them back in again, checked for loose pins, and found absolutely nothing. I've even tried connecting to my router with an ethernet cable, and it did not change a single thing. What really pisses me off though is I'm able to connect to the wifi with a different computer (the one I'm using to write this). I was hoping it was just a temporary issue and it would be back to normal the next day, just like cars sometimes don't work then an hour later they're fine, but I was wrong. It has been two days and nothing has happened and I'm not able to connect to wifi/find a signal. I'm starting to worry if I fried my hardware. I do not know if this is a pc to monitor issue or a pc/monitor to wifi issue. If anybody knows of a solution it would be greatly appreciative if you could help me out. Thank you to anybody that replies, I hope we can solve this over the weekend <3.

Sincerely,
Jason

EDIT: Just took out mobo battery for 10 minutes and put it back, still have the issue.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 18, 2017 at 02:14 PM
so the computer starts OK or is this just a wifi issure?

What wifi hardware are you using?

A USB plug-in adapter or a card plugged into the motherboard?

I would unplug the USB adapter while the computer is turned off and then plug it back into a different USB port after you restart the computer.
I don't know if this is a wifi issue or not. It is possible the monitor is not getting signal from the motherboard, cpu or whatever hardware it does get signal from. I'm using an ASUS USB 3.0 Wifi Adapter and it used to work fine and I believe it still does. I do not believe it is the wifi that is the issue as when connected to ethernet, that doesn't change anything.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826 > Jmskeoch
Nov 18, 2017 at 02:25 PM
so your monitor displays a "signal not found" message?

If you don't have a separate video card then you could have a motherboard problem. I assume you can test the monitor on a different computer.
No, I do not see a "Signal not found" message but when I go to my monitors home page and click input, there's a "Checking signal..." message that proceeds to a "No signal" message. And no, I cannot test this on a different computer as the rest of my family uses Macs (smh). My PC I just built is the only one in the house.
Jmskeoch > xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019
Nov 18, 2017 at 02:27 PM
I don't believe it's possible to check the computer on a mac monitor.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826 > Jmskeoch
Nov 18, 2017 at 02:48 PM
Macs can use your monitor - it's just a matter of having the right cable/adapter.

Try the following:
1. unplug the PC
2. press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds
3. plug the PC back in and try normal start.

You might have a power supply problem, video card or motherboard problem.

The CPU runs on 12 volts but the lights and fans run on 5 volts. So fans running does not prove anything.