Using nested if to blank out adjacent cells

Closed
WILLYB - Jun 8, 2009 at 03:59 PM
mubashir aziz Posts 190 Registration date Sunday April 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 16, 2010 - Jun 9, 2009 at 10:00 PM
Hello,
I would like to use a formula to blank out adjacent cells if a specific value is entered
for example:

I have cells A1, B1, C1

If I put the value of "X" in any one of the cells I would like the other two cells to be blanked out.

can anyone help me with this?

2 responses

mubashir aziz Posts 190 Registration date Sunday April 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 16, 2010 165
Jun 8, 2009 at 10:00 PM
What you mean be blanked out ???? If you just want to colored or something in cells then it can be done with conditional formatting ..... but if you want to values should deleted from other cells then it will not be possible ........

First of all select cells A1 to C1

Now go in format > Conditional formatting > Condition 1: Formula is: =OR($A$1="x",$B$1="x",$C$1="x")
Select some appropriate selection to hide the values like make fonts white and background white or black ...any approach you can adopt .......

What I am looking for is a way to place a character in only one of the 3 cells for example:

A1 B1 C1
x (placing an "x" in A1 causes B1 and C1 to empty)

what I have is a spreadsheet quality checklist that for each area being inspected I am to answer as follows:

A1 B1 C1
Yes No Not Applicable
x

I can not have more than one answer for each inspected scenario.
mubashir aziz Posts 190 Registration date Sunday April 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 16, 2010 165
Jun 9, 2009 at 10:00 PM
The best way to do this type of work is use of Option Buttons from Froms Tool Barr ... you can delete their name from the box and can group them in a Group Box which is also in Forms tool bar .......... you can click only one check box at a time and the remainig will become unchecked .....