Extending Router Range

Closed
JDC1981 - Mar 26, 2020 at 07:07 AM
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   - Mar 26, 2020 at 07:29 AM
Goal: To extend range of router in house to my building, which is about 50-100 feet outside the house in backyard.

Current Method: Plugged extended, a Linksys AC750 Dual Band into outlet closest to building in backyard.

Result: No good.

Would it be better to plug extender in outside in my building and run a long ethernet cable to the router in the house? Would that work? I'm new to this.
Related:

1 response

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,926
Updated on Mar 26, 2020 at 07:29 AM
Hello, short answer: if possible you could try moving the router as close as possible to your external walls, and then if you have power in your outbuilding, add the wifi extender there. You can also try different combinations to see which location works best for you.

Ultimately, you've got 4 main ways of boosting your Wifi signal.

Access Points

Wireless access points use multiple radio signal transmitters and receivers to give your network's signal a boost. They use MIMO, or multiple in and multiple out, technology along with reflection and amplification of radio waves to cover a much larger area than a standard router. Access points require a power supply and Ethernet connection.

Internal Boosters and Add-on Antennas

Internal boosters use the same MIMO technology as access points to boost reception. Router antennas can be screwed off and replaced with high gain antennas to boost the router's frequency range and reception. Antennas may be manipulated to open up the most unobstructed path--it works by line of sight--between the router and the computer's wireless card.

Powerline Models

Power-line signal extenders sends data between your computers and modem through your existing house electrical lines. Power-line models pass data between two extenders--one near the modem and one in a remote location. Power-line models use Ethernet, USB and Wi-Fi to communicate with your network's existing components, and electrical pulses to communicate between extenders. Data transferred over electrical lines travels faster than data sent via Wi-Fi. However, these devices are susceptible to interference from other devices plugged into the circuit.

Relays/Repeaters

Relays, or repeaters, receive radio waves from your router and "relay" them to give the signals an expanded range. The units contain an internal amplifier that simply receives the signal, strengthens it and passes it along. The practicality of these devices saves on wiring or additional modems.

I also found this article on how to extend wi-fi to your garden office or shed with pricing for each option.

Let me know how you get on!