Can't log in without paying

Closed
paule2b Posts 6 Registration date Sunday August 16, 2020 Status Member Last seen August 20, 2020 - Aug 16, 2020 at 07:19 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 - Aug 21, 2020 at 08:16 AM
When I try to log in to Instagram I get:

"Your free access is now finished. Please proceed to (small) payment to continue to have access to our service!"

Click "OK" this goes to a page asking for money.

If I click "no", the log in page closes down with a pop up showing:

"We are sorry you do not wish to help us :-("

Instagram worked for a couple of weeks before this message appeared.

I'm new to Instagram, so at first it seemed reasonable to pay, until I started asking around and was told by everyone that it is free.

Would be willing to pay, but not to give my credit card details to a suspicious site.

I'm on a windows 10 PC. The Instagram is personal, not for business. Not running any ads.

I can't delete my account because I can't log in.

I tried opening a new account, but same message.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Instagram several times, but same message.

System restore to an old date didn't work.

No suspicious apps or programs I can see in Apps and Features.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

4 responses

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,925
Updated on Aug 17, 2020 at 01:18 AM
Hello, this sounds like a scam. Instagram is a free to use service and won't ask you to pay.

Have a look here on how to avoid scams on Instagram. You should try contacting Instagram's support centre to flag up this issue.

As for logging into your account - it could be that it has been hacked, hence why you are seeing the popups. Try connecting to Instagram on another device if possible. If the problem persists look here for information on how to recover a hacked Instagram account.

Regards
David Webb

Content Editor and Community Manager - CCM.net