WIndows XP not booting

Closed
goodperson1212 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday December 16, 2020 Status Member Last seen December 16, 2020 - Dec 16, 2020 at 11:13 PM
lewisbert103 Posts 12 Registration date Thursday December 24, 2020 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2020 - Dec 24, 2020 at 08:16 AM
So, I spent half a day struggling why my windows XP won't start on any of the safe modes with similar symptoms you all have been seeing. Here is what worked for me on HP pavilion.

There is an option F11 when you boot the system. It takes you to Restore manager by HP via RAM something option. Select Advanced Options for Restore Manager.

A. I first selected the option to back up my files (Photos and Personal Docs/Files) on DVD-R drive. This takes about 1.5 hr to finish but is a worth-it safety step.

B. Rebooted the system, pressed F11, and selected the option to restore system to an older time. Restored the system to 20 days ago. I had tried restoring to two days ago but saw similar problem with it. This worked like charm and kept all my documents intact.

C. There is another option to restore to factory settings and I had intended to go all the way to original factory settings, if option B had not worked. In such a case, my backup DVDs from A would have come handy to restore all my Photos/Videos/Personal files back.

So, the problem seems to be the corruption of a system file and could be attributed to any of the programs I downloaded from the Internet such as DVD Fab in the interim.
Related:

2 responses

jerry_maguire Posts 11 Registration date Monday December 21, 2020 Status Member Last seen December 23, 2020 2
Dec 21, 2020 at 06:47 AM
Try the following tips:

1. Use a Windows startup disk
2. Use Last Known Good Configuration
3. Use System Restore
4. Use the Recovery Console
5. Restore from a backup
6. Perform an in-place upgrade

Hope one of these helps you.

Regards,
Jerry.