Lenovo ideapad motherboard's capacitor

Solved
maejortrippy - Oct 20, 2021 at 09:52 PM
 felipe - Jul 5, 2022 at 09:45 PM
Hello, I own a lenovo ideapad gaming 3 15.6" laptop

So, yesterday I was upgrading my RAM into 16GB, everything was going fine until, trying to put this little metal that protects the 2 ram slow then accidently it moved to the left and sort of burned this capacitor PL202 . One of my friends tested the motherboard and the capacitor and told me it caused no damaged but still im confused on what exactly is the use of this PL202 capacitor and how i really be sure that nothing bad is going to happed to my motherboard as the time goes by. Would totally appreciated any comments about it. Thanks

pd: no, i didnt disconnected the battery or drained all energy before doing this and yes i know i shoul've have. but now were here and im a little worried about this "not-burned but looks burned " PL202 thing.

here are the links for the photos just in case.
https://files.fm/u/f33jcpt36
Related:

4 replies

HelpiOS
Registration date
Friday October 30, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 9, 2022
Oct 21, 2021 at 05:11 AM
Hi,

The PL202 component is an inductor. It stores electric energy and release it to the circuit.

According to your photos, your laptop may continue to work, but I recommend you to consider replacing the inductor to avoid problems in the future.

Good luck
MaejorTripper
Oct 21, 2021 at 02:22 PM
Hello, by far everything seem to work as normal as before. I have an eye on my temperature ever since i powered on the laptop. Would look forward to replacing the PL202 soon, hopefully. Thanks!
asfddrhgg
Registration date
Tuesday March 8, 2022
Status
Last seen
June 8, 2022
2 > MaejorTripper
Mar 8, 2022 at 01:32 PM
Do you have any updates on the laptop. Did you replace anything?
sorry the smae happend to me but the laptop is still working perfectly,can the pl202 ruin my entire laptop
asfddrhgg
Registration date
Tuesday March 8, 2022
Status
Last seen
June 8, 2022
2 > albzenelaj
Mar 9, 2022 at 01:32 PM
Hello, is your laptop still functioning, everything is good?
asfddrhgg
Registration date
Tuesday March 8, 2022
Status
Last seen
June 8, 2022
Mar 8, 2022 at 12:35 PM
Do you guys have any updates on your situation?
I would appreciate the info as the same thing happened to me but everything seems fine up until now.
How's yours so far? Mine just burnt today haha.
asfddrhgg
Registration date
Tuesday March 8, 2022
Status
Last seen
June 8, 2022
2 > Burntout
Jun 7, 2022 at 01:18 PM
Well it is working without problems.
What burnt, the laptop, the motherboard or the PL202?
Hi! This happened to me today when I was upgrading the ram...! I am scared because I bought my laptop two months ago... The PL202 burnt! Have you ever seen any problem since then? How are your battery and voltage?

Do you think of replacing the inductor?
asfddrhgg
Registration date
Tuesday March 8, 2022
Status
Last seen
June 8, 2022
2 > Joseh01
Jun 8, 2022 at 08:44 AM
I did nothing and everything still works without problems.
I checked the battery and voltage with Lenovo Vantage but nothing out of the ordinary.
I think I will leave it as it is.
The same exact thing happened to me I would like to know what you did or if it affected your laptop in any way?
The exact same happened to me, I was installing a 8gb ram and after i put the metal it burned the capacitor! I wonder if there are any long term problems with you guys? Mine is working fine but i recently bought the laptop and im concerned...
Evolutionxzol
Jul 5, 2022 at 04:22 PM
Hello Felipe, i had the same issue today, i disconnected the battery and well, this metal case touched the PL202 and happened the same as the others. the thing here is that i'm having issues with my screen, cause if i shake my laptop, it goes to a black screen. even when i restar the computer it still remains in black screen, i opened the laptop again and disconnected the battery for 1 minute, connected it again and it's functioning but idk it the black screen will happen again, i'm afraid. That's thats happening to me right now :(
felipe > Evolutionxzol
Jul 5, 2022 at 09:45 PM
Hey, for me this issue doesn´t happen but you could ask lenovo support for help, I told them my problem and they said that is alright because the pl 202 is not a vital part. But if you are having issues, contact them, they may help you with this problem, I hope you can fix this.